<<<drive Systems???>>>

mnibike

Ok, I am currently completing my mini bike and am now to the point of which drive system I should use? The torque convertor (TAV), basic clutch or the jackshaft. Could someone please explain there advantages and disadvantages and some good brands to go with for these setups. I just have looked all over the web and come up with not enough to see a difference. By the way I plan on riding this on the street with some minor hills here there. Thanks OLDMINIBIKE this will really help.

-mnibike

If you're going to ride it on the street; I think the more pertinent question would be: Do you want to be interred or cremated??????...Ogy.

If you're going to post threads with <<<<<<<<_>>>>>>>>> I think the more pertinent question would be: Do you want to be interred or cremated??????

:thefinger:

I would also like to know more about the pros & cons of the various drive systems available these days.

I've only ridden a straight centrifugal clutch type bike & a centrifugal clutch to Jack Shaft bike.

I have another post about the old Comet 2-speed Jack Shaft that I'm very interested in also.

<<<So you mad mini bikin' mo-fo's>>> :bowdown: :thefinger: :lol:

What's the scoop?

Motra

The questions you're asking kind of depend on the type of riding you'll be doing, the engine (hp and type), the frame you're using, your size, and your ability as a fabricator and welder.
Comet torque converters are probably the most reasonably priced and you can get parts easily.
A jackshaft is used for the driven pulley of a torque converter or as a means of gearing reduction with a centrifugal clutch, and sometimes has the rear brake mounted to it as well. The Comet TAV system has a bracket with the jackshaft built in to it so there's no need for a seperate jackshaft.
Basically a torque converter gives you a range of gearing like an automatic transmission in a car and an engine mounted clutch is a direct drive single speed.

The point is that if you're planning on riding in the street, buy the cheapest used clutch you can find...
You won't be riding the bike for very long. No need to tie up big dollars in a short term investment.

Now if you're planning on riding out on the freeway, definitely go with the used TAV 30.

Last edited:

kbs8ball

For a first build I would go with a regular centrifical clutch going straight to the rear sprocket. 12t clutch 72t sprocket. it will take off nice and still have some speed. the best system is one of the TAV set ups. I have a TAV II on my bonanza. it runs pretty good.I also have a sears bike with the regular clutch set up. it runs good as well.

i want pics/vid.

if you're building 18-20hp mini bike motors i'd expect you to know which is better for your application when it comes to clutch vs. TAV.

that isn't the type of stuff that people that are new to mini bikes are building.