electric minibike

I would think it would be kind of cool to get a 5hp electric motor on mini. it might get boring being silent.
I love gas motors and I am not some environmentalist, but just think it would be interesting to see what it's like. I understand electric motors have full torque instantly. might make a cool drag mini that could just be recharged.
I figure that batteries would be heavy and expensive so that might make it unrealistic.
have any of you guys thought about building one?

there was one on craigslist for months with an electric motor. i guess the guy either sold it super cheap (kept dropping the price) or gave up.

jeep4me

This topic comes up every now and then. Here's a pic of one I saw at an estate sale last year. They wanted $500 for it and it didn't run.

I've toyed around with doing a 72 volt AC induction system. Being the obsessive freak I am I was planning to use LiFePO4 batteries and boostcaps but the cost was prohibitive at a stark 7 grand. However I calculated 0-60 (traction loss not included) to be 3.2 seconds. And yes, it could easily hit 60 as well. This was well closer to being a full size motorcycle though.

I'm sure you could do a much more rudimentary setup that would have roughly the same performance as a gas mini for pretty cheap.

Oh yeah, and a 5hp electric motor is waaaay overkill on a mini. You realize that motors of that size usually put out well over 35 ft/lbs, instantly and mantain that torque throughout the operating band? When dealing with any sort of electric vehicle horsepower ratings are meaningless compared to their gas counterparts.