Electric start Baja ?

2old2care

So, y'all now have got me interested in these things - I picked up a somewhat ratty Baja Warrior, yesterday, for a project I now have in mind.
It was pretty cheap, but also pretty neglected, and / or hard used - It is mostly complete, except for the obvious missing light.

It did come with an interesting and unexpected feature though - It has an electric starter !
The seller gave me some BS about it having a 301cc engine, but I don't think so - I'm guessing that because of the starter, though, it IS a replacement engine.
That is, unless someone tells me that some of them came through that way ................

I don't know if the starter was ever used, as there is the most god-awful rats nest of connected and disconnected wiring on the bike - I'm thinking, that no matter what it is, I might just eliminate the starter, simplify things by just using the recoil.
It feels like it has pretty good compression, but I have not tried to start it yet, as the throttle is sticking badly, and it had an opposing spring on the governor - A bad combo.
I will fix this before I even try

Anyway, anyone have an opinion on what I got here ? Other than the obvious one of "A Mess"
Here it is, in all it's bile-green glory : baja.jpg starter.jpg

Those never came with an e-start, so that's not the original engine. If it runs, you might as well keep it in there. The "tank" on the bike is a perfect spot to put a battery for the starter.

2old2care

Seriously, now -
Electrically speaking, I think what I'd need would be a rectifier/regulator (looks like there's one on the bike), a charge controller, and a battery.
With this I could run lights, AND/OR the e-starter - Is this correct, or am I missing something, again ?
Oops - I'll also need to add a starter solenoid - But it looks like one of those there, too.

Like I said, I'll have to decide if this is worth it - Assuming again that the engine is any good....

Last edited:

2old2care

Well, yesterday, I finally got around to investigating the engine in this prize machine, and the result is NOT good .
I first pulled the plug (it was a new NGK), and the little well around the insulator was full of condensed water and rust.
Then I checked the oil - Pulled the dipstick, and the crankcase was way overfull of what looked like gray-ish chocolate milk :-(
To top it off, the carb bowl also had rusty water in it.

So, seeing that this is not some priceless vintage engine, or bike, I don't think I'm going to look further into this soggy engine.
I'm thinking to just buy a new Predator 224 for it - But I do want to run a headlight, and those don't come with a charging coil set up.
Is it any kind of big deal to add it? I see they sell the coils for 196 / 212's - Will they fit and work with the 224 flywheel ?
I'm sure someone here must know :~)

nightgrider

Not sure about the 224. But on the older non-hemi 212's I used a Honda GX 3 magnet flywheel, 2 stator coils, and a voltage regulator to run lights on my mini bike.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/fox-campus-trail-bike-build.161269/post-1267713

I made a bracket and mounted the voltage regulator on the front of the engine.
https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?attachments/20210801_105446-jpg.280953/

Images of the lights working:
https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/fox-campus-trail-bike-build.161269/post-1277231

2old2care

Thanks, nightgrider :~)

OK, so I gave it some thought, wimped out, took the lazy route, and ordered a new Wildcat 223, WITH charging coils, from EC Carburetors.
The cost difference between it, and a HF 224 Predator + a flywheel & coils, including shipping, was about $13 - And they didn't charge tax !!
I will post my thoughts on it, as I go along through the Baja rehab - But I'm old and slow, so don't hold your collective breaths ;~)

nightgrider

Thanks, nightgrider :~)

OK, so I gave it some thought, wimped out, took the lazy route, and ordered a new Wildcat 223, WITH charging coils, from EC Carburetors.
The cost difference between it, and a HF 224 Predator + a flywheel & coils, including shipping, was about $13 - And they didn't charge tax !!
I will post my thoughts on it, as I go along through the Baja rehab - But I'm old and slow, so don't hold your collective breaths ;~)
That's honestly the best way to go. I only added the charging coils to my motor because it came with the bike. If I was sourcing a new engine, I would have done exactly what you did.