Electrolysis (Rust Removal)

Has anyone experimented with removing rust from the inside of a rusty fuel tank using Electrolysis?

Feel free to post tips and/or how-to's.
I want my fuel tank clean, but don't want my shop blowing up either...

Thanks,

cd

there was a dude at the NJ hot dog show gave a demo on that last year....used some kind of Arm & Hammer powder detergent in water and a 6 volt battery charger.....made the "annode" out of a piece of threaded rod.....looked like it worked good :shrug:

I've tried it withour that much sucess using arm and hammer washing soda on rusted stuff it worked so so but fried my battery charger think I had too much washing soda for the amount of water i used.

There are some threads over at DUYgokart about electrolysis. I guess it worked out well.
Bluethunder had one, but the pics are different now, I dont know what happend to the right ones... :shrug:

I too have used it with great results , just go easy on the washing soda or you will create to strong a solution wich puts to much load on the charger/ power supply
I use a car battery in parallel with the charger to give a more steady curent and a stainless steel sacrifical anode of a similar surface area to the part being cleaned.

Well that trip to Home Depot just got me "red-flagged". Acetone, CLR, batteries, and soda carbonate... Idiots.

One hour of my life I will never get back.

Really no story... I asked a couple of employees where I could find sodium carbonate and nobody seemed to know, then I kept asking because I really didn't want to go to Walmart. So, I finally find it and pick up some Acetone and other things and head up front. Management was waiting for me and I had to sit there while they waited on an officer to respond. I had already convinced them through me YouTube history on my phone what the stuff was for... Just idiot whistle blowers thinking their doing society a favor by trying to wreck my evening.
I did tell the woman manager that she doesn't have the right to demand any answers from me... Kinda pissed me off the way it started up front with shoppers looking on.
I got what I need though and I'm glad they didn't have to take down personal information, because I didn't want to give them any.

buckeye

You meth cooker you.:laugh:

I know that isn't funny. But, that would send red flag up, you hippie mini bike building, rust remover you. Big threat. :laugh:

I have gotten to where I hate HD and Lowes. I have become a Tractor Supply kinda guy.

I have tried it restoring a cast iron picture frame. I got the instructions from diy gokarts. I had the link but doesnt seem to work now. I hung in in the center of a 5 gallon bucket with a railroad tie plate in front and back for electrodes. It seemed to work i had it going for 3 or 4 8 hour days. wire wheeling it at the end of each day. Probrobly didnt have the mixture right or the right electrodes but It worked. There are certainly easier ways to do it. Later I got a sand blaster works in seconds. 15$ for a spot blaster at harbor freight with free sifted sand off the side of the road :laugh: Turned out pretty good for sitting in the woods for who knows how long. just had to repair the leaf on top and paint it

I've used electrolysis with success as well. I first heard about it on a garden tractor forum that I frequent. I bought myself a 100 gallon plastic tub with a drain from Tractor Supply and mounted sections of rebar all around the perimeter and wired them together. I bought a Schumacher 10 amp manual battery charger to use just for the electrolysis. I followed these directions on this web site.
Rust removal by electrolysis

Worked great for me. Was able to fit a half garden tractor frame or whole minibike frame in the tub. Just have to be patient and let it sit while you go do work on other things.
:thumbsup:

Well I have my setup going...I decided to run a cord to the back porch. Didn't want any mess in the shop. Only thing I'm worried about is it touching the inside of the tank and frying my charger while I'm away.