end play???????????

Doc1976

so, a question regarding end play. 3hp 80212 model I understand that in order to get end play with in specs the procedure is to check with the standard .015 gasket in place. if needed add shims and additional thinner gaskets to the .015 to get within specs. My question is this, my engine is at the .008 limit of end play. I would like to get it closer to .004 or .005, the additional side cover gaskets are .005 and .010 i think. the shims come in 007, .012, .018, And .025. so if I add the .005 gasket and .007 shim then I should get .006 end play. what about cam end play. I just added .005 in gasket so now the cam can move around another .005. this doesn't seem good to me. am I overthinking it? Why would I not just use the thinner gaskets only to get the end play in range? or would this cause the cam to be too tight?

Last edited:
If you are presently within the range of allowable endplay, I wouldn't change a thing. The low, 0.002, in my opinion, would be too tight. Once the engine heats up, metal is going to expand and the tolerances will close up some more. I put together a similar engine with a 0.005 gasket and it was binding even though it wasn't supposed to (by measurement), so I went back to a 15. It's a 3hp engine, don't over think it.

bandit 40

so, a question regarding end play. 3hp 80212 model I understand that in order to get end play with in specs the procedure is to check with the standard .015 gasket in place. if needed add shims and additional thinner gaskets to the .015 to get within specs. My question is this, my engine is at the .008 limit of end play. I would like to get it closer to .004 or .005, the additional side cover gaskets are .005 and .010 i think. the shims come in 007, .012, .018, And .025. so if I add the .005 gasket and .007 shim then I should get .006 end play. what about cam end play. I just added .005 in gasket so now the cam can move around another .005. this doesn't seem good to me. am I overthinking it? Why would I not just use the thinner gaskets only to get the end play in range? or would this cause the cam to be too tight?
Doc Any Idea Where I can find these shims ?

Doc1976

thanks for all the responses guys. I am just a bit uncomfortable with the tolerance being on the limit, but I suppose in this application it should be fine. I would like to see some shims in the .002-.005 size range to make the end play setting easier. thanks again.