Engine for my SuperBronc

I have a vt10 frame that I am obtaining parts for. I plan to use the bike both on and off road. The on road part will just be tooling around town under 40 mph. I have a list of all the Wisconsin DOT requirements and have even found (but have not yet purchased) some 22x11-8 knobbies which are DOT approved radials. I have also found two sources where I can purchase a new Tecumseh 10 hp for around $450. But here is the question for you engine experts...

I am thinking about a new 12 hp or larger Briggs (like the vanguard) if it would fit on my frame, which I can get new for about the same $$$. Has anyone had any experience with the bigger Briggs like these on a bike or kart? I called Briggs and they would not recommend one of there engines for such an application. The main reason I am considering a 12hp (or so) Briggs instead of the 10hp Tecumseh is that I am unsure if it would be good for the Tecumseh to be rolling around at top rpm all the time. Old Heald brochures state that the top speed on the vt-10 (hp) is around 40 mph. I don't want to take 'er on the highway, but I don't want to hold up traffic either. Yet, maybe the new 10hp Tecumseh would be sufficient. Any thoughts? Thanks.

i got one on a kinda rough S-B if i could a fair price i might pull it then rest
of parts,that would help someguys with there restos?:hack::hack:

I've got an HM80 in my photos that I'd be willing to part with. It's got under an hour on it. The tank and carb (non-adjustable) have never had gas in them. Check it out. Scott.

By the way, I think that there's a kit out there that makes the carb adjustable. Does anyone know about this? Scott.

Thanks for your input guys. I think I will stick with the HM100. Probably be a lot less hassle than trying to get a briggs to match up correctly.

The HM80 is an HM100, with a smaller bore. I've heard that the HM100's will rattle your teeth out. Anyway, if interested, I could save you some money. I've already modded the throttle for a mini bike, or go kart, removed the governer and internals, cleaned every bit of oil out of it with q-tips and paper towels. New head gasket, new side cover gasket. Ready to roll. I took the adjustable carb and gas tank off of it to put on my brand new HM100, which is now modded to somewhere between 17-23hp, so this tank and carb have never had gas in them. Did you happen to look at my pics? Take care. Scott.

delray

not sure about getting it DOT approve? goodluck on trying too. if you want to try making it little faster you could always change the rear sprocket. with a torque converter it will still have good low end take off and a 10hp tecumseh should do just fine. you also want one with a lighted coil to run your lights and charge your battery.
question i have, can you make it legel to ride on atv trails? last time i look it states that it must be more then three wheels...etc..... in wisconsin