Engine pulsates in idle with no choke

Hello all.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp motor. The model is 122432-0113-E8. A while back I had to replace on of the valves and push rod because the valve got rusted in there. Well, I got that all fixed and put back together, but now I notice that the engine idles good when there is the slightest amount of choke applied. If I open the choke completely, the engine just pulsates, to where it it almost dies and then revs up to keep it running. It does this about once per second. If I give it gas, it seems to level out as well. Can anyone give me any idea of where I need to go with this? I have replaced the carburator as well.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

You need to clean your carb real good. I have 16 of the Briggs motors you have and it is a very common problem with these motors, especially with the crappy gas they have now days.

The idle fuel mixture is too lean.. I'm thinking on a 6.5 you should have ONE mixture screw coming in from an angle towards the front of the carb... try screwing that out like 1/4 turn..

The Briggs Intek are fixed, no adjustments possible other then idle speed. probably dirt stuck in the inlet side or in the main jet which is what holds the bowl on.

Ohhhh jebus.. are they un adjustable? :glare:

Well, the problem is your compresion is %8 low, you don't live in the right elevation above sea level, air is too thin that day... Take your pick.. :glare:

The problem is your carburetor is junk because they won't let you adjust it to run right..

It MIGHT have a chunk of gunk in the idle fuel circuit somewhere.. But if it was pulling NO idle fuel.. it surge REALLY badly and damn near die and not run below about 1,200 rpms..