Engines you’d love to play with but haven’t yet . . .

NorCal

So with my kart racing habit, and the fact that I have two daughters also getting into the sport ($$$) I have an excess of Briggs Lo206 motors and I can’t stop thinking about putting one on a mini bike build. I also race with a class that uses the Japanese built Subaru Robin engines, which are scarce now that Fuji Industries sold/ outsourced theri engine division to China. But if I could get my hand on a Japanese built Subaru Robin, I think tht would be a hoot.

What engine would YOU like to play with? (Or what have you played with?)

stock 206.jpeg stock 206.jpeg

So far, I've successfully restrained myself from dismantling my pressure washer to steal its Honda GC160 engine. I keep telling myself that it probably has a splined crankshaft and wouldn't accept a clutch. For now, it's safe. :)
But I would really like to put one of these engines on a mini. The OHC/crossflow cylinder head with rubber band cam drive is quite appealing.

So far, I've successfully restrained myself from dismantling my pressure washer to steal its Honda GC160 engine. I keep telling myself that it probably has a splined crankshaft and wouldn't accept a clutch. For now, it's safe. :)
But I would really like to put one of these engines on a mini. The OHC/crossflow cylinder head with rubber band cam drive is quite appealing.

The Day is still young Tom! lol ;)

Every pressure washer iv ever pulled apart had a standard shaft. Just so you know. They are great but most have no easy way to hook up a throttle cable.
Id like to play with a reo engine. I passed one up for cheap last summer and later wondered why i didnt grab it.

Last edited:
X3 on the Rotary! :cool::scooter: That was way BadA$$!!!

Had a '74 Rotary Pickup growing up that I wish I still had. Fell asleep coming home from the girly friends house and crashed it... then sold it :confused:
Talk 'bout scream, didn't redline till 7k buzzer came on at 6.5k. Sure miss that thing...

Diesel I'm down to try one... Ain't nuttin like rollin coal c'mon :cool: lol

My next minibike will be powered with a Honda GC160 or a single cylinder diesel. Which one do you think I should go with?
If you can find a diesel i would do that. Hey, you asked lol.
A friend of mine built a supercharged diesel drag bike. He did such a killer job too. He made the frame, the fuel tank, everything.
It ran great, it wasn't really a good drag bike, but it was a great and powerful all-around bike. I think it was all stainless too. I had some pics of it, i'll have to see if i can find them

Only played with my Tec L-head thus far. I'd like to get my fingers on on a briggs 5hp flat head, briggs CR950 or similar 208cc briggs OHV and finally that exact diesel that was put up above. That engine is a 196cc Yanmar diesel clone, it runs something like 20:1 CR. While diesels may be relatively low revving compared to a gas engine, it is possible to mod them to rev higher as well as diesels throw ape loads of torque.

Minimichael

A 2-stroke is probably next for me because I got it off the neighbor's snow blower. I also picked up a Honda GX390 last year but have no idea what I'd put it on. And some day I think it'd be fun to build something hybrid with one of my little Briggs 5S flatheads, just for shits and giggles. Of course I'd have to learn all that electrical stuff first...