Evolution r185sms+

JimN

Sparkwizard asked for a pic of the saw I bought for my build, so I thought I would throw this in the tool section because after a search I didn't see any other reference to it. I'm not trying to push this, it's what I decided to buy and it works great for me.
This was the only project specific power tool I bought for my build. I have everything else. My frame is made from square and rect. tubing and I knew it was going to involve a boat load of angled cuts based on my design. Since my welding skill is marginal at best, I also knew that I was going to need the best fit up I could get from my cuts. My chop, hand held bandsaw, angle grinder with cut off wheels, or skilsaw wasn't going to cut it for me.
It's a 7 1/4 compound, sliding, single bevel miter saw. 10 amp, 3700 rpm. It is not heavy duty, it limited in the size of the steel you can cut, I believe it 1/4 thickness max., and it supposed to be able to do an 8" crosscut but the widest piece I cut was 3/16 x 6 flat, worked great. Should be able to cut 2 1/2 tall but I believe that is pushing it. The tallest piece I cut was 2". Out of the box I had to adjust the bevel angle stop screw about a 1/2 turn to get it to cut square, has the typical miter slots for the most used angles, 50* max miter angle. If you push the limits of the blade your using and it gets to hot you will start melting the plastic inset piece in the saw base. Don't ask me how I know.
evolution r185 sms+.JPG evolution r185 sms+ a.JPG evolution r185 sms+ b..JPG

markus

Sparkwizard asked for a pic of the saw I bought for my build, so I thought I would throw this in the tool section because after a search I didn't see any other reference to it. I'm not trying to push this, it's what I decided to buy and it works great for me.
This was the only project specific power tool I bought for my build. I have everything else. My frame is made from square and rect. tubing and I knew it was going to involve a boat load of angled cuts based on my design. Since my welding skill is marginal at best, I also knew that I was going to need the best fit up I could get from my cuts. My chop, hand held bandsaw, angle grinder with cut off wheels, or skilsaw wasn't going to cut it for me.
It's a 7 1/4 compound, sliding, single bevel miter saw. 10 amp, 3700 rpm. It is not heavy duty, it limited in the size of the steel you can cut, I believe it 1/4 thickness max., and it supposed to be able to do an 8" crosscut but the widest piece I cut was 3/16 x 6 flat, worked great. Should be able to cut 2 1/2 tall but I believe that is pushing it. The tallest piece I cut was 2". Out of the box I had to adjust the bevel angle stop screw about a 1/2 turn to get it to cut square, has the typical miter slots for the most used angles, 50* max miter angle. If you push the limits of the blade your using and it gets to hot you will start melting the plastic inset piece in the saw base. Don't ask me how I know.
View attachment 306729 View attachment 306730 View attachment 306731

whats the blade life like for the cutting mild steel? and is it a pretty standard arbor/hole size for other blades? I was thinking about ordering one of these, but one of my projects coming up involves some hardy (cement) board trim so i will need to change the blade for that and I have not seen anything about the arbor. I woud imagine its standard. Hows it holding up (are you using it much)? I am looking for a 7 1/4 sliding for a bunch of projects, not metal related, I had ran across this one and though it would be handy since its claiming it can cut metal.

They are pretty course.

I have 2 Evolution saws and have not even had a chance to use the second one yet. I have a new 14'' chop saw and an older circular saw that is a cutting best! I have an Ellis 1600 horizontal band saw but there are times its not convienient to use. So I bought the Evolution 14'' chop saw.

This is the circular saw that I have.

Evolution S210CCS: Metal Cutting Circular Saw with 8-1/4 In. Mild Steel Cutting Blade and Chip Collection - Evolution Power Tools– Evolution Power Tools USA

Evolution Power Tools– Evolution Power Tools USA

Last edited:

JimN

whats the blade life like for the cutting mild steel? and is it a pretty standard arbor/hole size for other blades? I was thinking about ordering one of these, but one of my projects coming up involves some hardy (cement) board trim so i will need to change the blade for that and I have not seen anything about the arbor. I woud imagine its standard. Hows it holding up (are you using it much)? I am looking for a 7 1/4 sliding for a bunch of projects, not metal related, I had ran across this one and though it would be handy since its claiming it can cut metal.
It comes with a reversible adapter. 1 side is for a 20mm arbor and the other side is for 5/8.
As far as blade longevity, I can't really say. I'm kinda of new to the whole metal cutting with a compound miter saw. A lot has to due with blade quality, number of teeth, thickness of metal. The saw comes with a 20t general purpose blade for cutting through wood with nails and that kind of thing.

That being said, I used 2 blades on my build, but that was with square, rect., angle, and flat bar. Ranging in thicknesses of 11 ga.,14 ga., and 3/16.
Mine had lots of angles to cut.

mini bike 3a.jpg
I bought the blades at homedepot. Diablo 48t and a diablo 36t.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-...Saw-Blade-for-Medium-Metal-D0748CFR/307789803

markus

Apologies, I missed this. I only use it occasionally. Works great for what I do with it. I think if I was buying one for work or lots of projects I would probably get one that used a larger blade and is heavier duty.
Thanks, I am really wanting a small one, I have an old 10" non sliding here, and have access/ full use of another 10" an a 12" sliding saw over at another shop I work remotely in, so I am wanting a smaller one due to not much room here plus If I need it there its easier to transport. These will actually cut a wider board than a fixed 10" will so I plan to just retire that beater. I was not thinking about metal cutting, but Honestly that caught my eye when shopping (that and the price).