Exhaust header for Mac49

Harquebus

You're darned right it's loud, but thanks for caring about the noise level ...as most civility has long since gone out the window.... ;)
Those were designed to race and run loud as the exhaust "header" is just a funnel (or a megaphone) for all intents and purposes lol.

You're going to need a 2-stroke compatible muffler system that fits the exhaust port.

I am making an adapter for the exhaust on my Jacobsen J321. I plan to make it so I can attach a 1 inch OD tube to it. I have been looking at scooter pipes and the add-a-motor-to a bike crowd has some cheap expansion chambers.

race

There's a guy making really nice repops of the full Azusa header (with the end caps) and hardware for a very reasonable price. Unfortunately, he is only making them for the West Bend 820. But I've heard some chatter about him possibly doing them for the Macs. The trouble is there are a lot of different Macs out there.

BTW - Does anyone have a handy chart showing specs/ displacements on all the different Macs?

Another option could be just a little stub header to some flex-pipe to a muffler can of some sort. Don't know how that would look or effect power but the can could really quiet it down. And offer a lot of different mounting options.

Of course, whatever you do ... we will require a vid posted of you going WFO on it ! :scooter::scooter::scooter:

We all love these journeys to fix, upgrade, finding, knowledge, great people that help . So far the shop tech says it’s a very early Mac/ carb. I wonder what I will learn? Those aluminum custom kart headers look great; maybe just directing it behind me would help? Thoughts? Who would I call ??

sonerenos

My Mac 49 is at the bike shop finalizing it’s running and chain/rear axle spacing etc. I’m thinking it might be kinda loud in the neighborhood with no header pipe ? Any ideas or what to use? Where to get? Thanks Jim( last picture is on a Mac powered cart on bring a trailer)
Tim Taft at Taft racing is working on producing all the Azusa two stroke exhaust headers, with cap and hardware for an additional cost.
power products, mcculloch, clinton and west bend 580 are in the works currently.
west bend 820 are available now, $75 with the cap and hardware.
quick google search will surface his contact information.

race

Tim Taft at Taft racing is working on producing all the Azusa two stroke exhaust headers, with cap and hardware for an additional cost.
power products, mcculloch, clinton and west bend 580 are in the works currently.
west bend 820 are available now, $75 with the cap and hardware.
quick google search will surface his contact information.

I did not know that he was going to do all the two-strokes. That's great news. BTW - totally satisfied with his quality of work on the 820 Azusa I picked up from him.

This is just something to think about. It came from a Toro snowblower. I use them on little Tec 2 strokes.
IMG_20231109_142240.jpg IMG_20231109_142234.jpg IMG_20231109_142305.jpg They are too small for any of the bigger engines but adding pipe to suit your project is handy. I am making a bigger one for the bigger smokers.

This is just something to think about. It came from a Toro snowblower. I use them on little Tec 2 strokes.
View attachment 307730 View attachment 307732 View attachment 307731 They are too small for any of the bigger engines but adding pipe to suit your project is handy. I am making a bigger one for the bigger smokers.
I really like this idea , bolt pattern, I would need to measure my bolt dimensions. Do you happen to know the bolt pattern size? Thanks jim 3AF05150-3F16-40CE-9532-1A396BCE4512.jpeg

Gimme a few minutes. I am sure it is too small for your Mac, but Jacobsen made two stroke snowblowers that had pipe welded to a flange.

Edit: The little Tecumsehs look like 2 1/4 canter to center. My Jacobsen measures 2 1/2 inches.

Last edited:

Harquebus

Really thinking this also looks great. I need to measure my bolt pattern first?
Could really be anything welded up that fits the flange and bolt pattern on the engine {the key to all this} and put the most basic of "muffler" or spark arrestors on the end {always thinking of a Briggs #294599}.

You can search on fleabay for "2 stroke exhaust muffler" and you will find exhausts for small pit bikes and scooters in the same general engine size. Something like this could work if you hacksawed it into sections so it fit your bike, then welded it back together. You'd have to fabricate the flange of course:

D4ACFF77-568B-4872-81F5-9A4436217D32.jpeg

Or this one perhaps, that uses a section of flexible steel weave: 2 Stroke Engine Viper Exhaust