f-150

I bought a 1987 ford f-150 today. That runs great it has a 300 strait 6 everybodys says you cant kill this engine and its a great engine any input......

71dodge

my dad has a 300 stright 6 in his E-250 econoline van its just about to turn 300,000 miles and runs like a top it gets 100 miles at least put on it everyday

OH HELL YES.

I love my '87

the 300 has massive ammounts of torque, and pulls great, my trucks over hauled a few cars =), Ive had it on the Lake Superior Pro Rally Course and had it airborne this summer, nasty muddy logging roads, ( I do not advise doing this what so ever, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES) the constructions awesome! BUT they will rust out ( god bless 80's Fords!) i get around 22 highway

I lost the 3 plus over drive and added a 2002 5 speed, with low low first gear, my motors a 98, cast iron beast, new steel timing gear, emmision controls, smog pump deleted, exedy hydraulic clutch, f-250 leafs in rear fuel injected too!

new aluminum rims, CB radio, new interior, 20/40 gallon gas tanks, bigger aluminum radiator, alot of odds and ends,

higher wattage altrenator, and sound system 12 inch pioneer premier sub woofer, and 300 watt clarion door speakers with indpendent tweeters, both with there own amps,

Im adding a Flow masters and a k&n kit, short throw shifter, once I get my tax money back possibly some sort of aftermarket suspension,

I really wanna turbo, cam and mega squirt the monster, But im not sure If I wanna deal with it breaking loose at forty=), or add a 351 windsor from the lighting or get adventurous with a 460, But I really like the good ole Iron Six

Oh I love my truck

Last edited:
I bought a new Ford E-150 in 1994 with the Straight 6 and ordered it with a limited slip differential. I had no complaints of how that van ran Took it to the Baja 1000 twice it was not offered in the Ford after that.
Steve :scooter:

I bought a 1987 ford f-150 today. That runs great it has a 300 strait 6 everybodys says you cant kill this engine and its a great engine any input......
Yeah those things are great engines. One of Fords best engines they ever made. The newer engines with that HUGE throttle body injection system is pretty decent on fuel for what they are. Any strait six will have a pretty long stroke so it is going to use SOME gas for sure.. But if everything in the system works right, no O2 sensor burnt out or anything it should have no problem getting 20 plus per gallon. They have came a long way from the day of the 2 barrel 3 speed granny low trucks. The engine itself is still the same die hard old 300 six though. :thumbsup:

A long way is right, Originally mine had the first year of fuel injection in it, But the motor was siezed, So a 1996 Straight 6 was put in, combinded with a 2002 Mazda M50D-2 5 speed transmission with an Exedy clutch, mated up with the Limited slip 3.87 I really wanna add a 4.10 in the rear for the summer,

My motor has multiport fuel injection, with massive intake runners and a big ole pelntum, and two butterflys at the throttle body, The original nylon gears used in late model 300's was prone to failure, mine did and I added a steel one, its a bit noiser, but no complaints otherwise,

Alls I can say is the things big and mean,
It uses some gas but its not bad at all!

Post some pics man!

A long way is right, Originally mine had the first year of fuel injection in it, But the motor was siezed, So a 1996 Straight 6 was put in, combinded with a 2002 Mazda M50D-2 5 speed transmission with an Exedy clutch, mated up with the Limited slip 3.87 I really wanna add a 4.10 in the rear for the summer,

My motor has multiport fuel injection, with massive intake runners and a big ole pelntum, and two butterflys at the throttle body, The original nylon gears used in late model 300's was prone to failure, mine did and I added a steel one, its a bit noiser, but no complaints otherwise,

Alls I can say is the things big and mean,
It uses some gas but its not bad at all!

Post some pics man!
HAHA!! Yes they are... WAY better than any damn V-6 they got now.. twice the torque AND twice the gas mileage I think. Those V-6's always go to crap THEN they get HORRIBLE gas mileage and have NO power.. Strait six is almost ALWAYS better in a truck than a V-6.. Get an S-10 Blazer with a 4.3 with 300 and it will get about 11 miles per gallon and can not USE overdrive anymore because it doesn't have the power to pull itself in high gear. :doah: WELL, I guess it will stay in overdrive if you hold it to the floor and manual shift it through the gears and and bang OD at about 90 miles per hour and never let off the gas.. I'd rather have a Chevy 292 Strait six over any Chevy V-6 ever built.. 300 Ford over any 2.9 too...

We went on a road trip today with a 1998 v6 s10 Blazer with four passengers traveling 380 miles and not driving slow, we averaged 24 mpg and used the overdrive, it only shifted down on the hard grades as it should. 292s and 300s are stump pullers however they are fuel hungry, the little v6 will never out pull them but will beat them hands down for fuel efficiency.

Last edited:
Fast Tote Goat, I honestly have to disagree, We have a Ford Explorer with a 4.0 Liter v-6 and my 300 (4.9L) has much better fuel economy,

Then again, Its two different beasts, Ill take a I-6 over V-6 any day of the week, I dont want an underpowered dog,

There is nothing to disagree about, the big inline 6s have more torque and the s10 gets way better mileage, 24mpg @ 75 mph with four passengers, what part did'nt you understand? They are two different breeds made for two different purposes. One of my buddies was complaining just the other day about the fuel consumpsion of his old ford with a 300 in line six, but it keeps on ticking, he drives it to work every day. Years ago there were stock car classes that you could only run a 292 ci. chevy or a 300 ci. ford, the Ford had a little more power potential however the chevy was more durable.

No misunderstanding, I was just saying my straight 6 gets better fuel economy then the smaller v-6, Highway that is, I honestly couldnt tell ya about city miles thou, I agree with you in every aspect otherwise, The explorer sucks gas down worse then anything,

and I understand that they are two different breeds, Actually, I may just hate the Ford 4.0L V6 now that I think about it.

Last edited:
We went on a road trip today with a 1998 v6 s10 Blazer with four passengers traveling 380 miles and not driving slow, we averaged 24 mpg and used the overdrive, it only shifted down on the hard grades as it should. 292s and 300s are stump pullers however they are fuel hungry, the little v6 will never out pull them but will beat them hands down for fuel efficiency.
Yeah but thats what I am saying. When all of your stuff is right and tight and newish enough to work right. They are VERY strong little motors for pulling around small trucks.... BUT when your 4.3 has has the same 300,000 miles on it like dudes Strait Six has... It will not even be able to move itself anymore. Thats what they do. First 180,000 is not all bad.... after that they start going down hill fast. A $4,000 S-10 is a strong runner. But a worn out one is junk.

...Years ago there were stock car classes that you could only run a 292 ci. chevy or a 300 ci. ford, the Ford had a little more power potential however the chevy was more durable.
I had a '71 Chev pickup w/292 & 4 spd. It had tons of grunt and took all of all the teenage abuse I could throw at it. That was a neat truck. I'll have to find a pic.

Those are a powerhouse. :thumbsup: Anything old enough to have ZERO emissions laws and granny low six banger pickup will rip a building out of the ground.. Those are also the 12 mile per gallon trucks though. :doah: When your 16 you don't a FLYING fck though. :lol:

Ooh. Found pics of my truck. These are probably from 1984. One on the way to go dirt bike riding, another on the way home. Not the best day in the woods.