Fairbanks Morse Kickstarter

capguncowboy

I picked this kickstarter up last week for a great price, but the pawl on the back is broken/missing parts. Where can I find replacements or is there someone that makes them?

And doesn't this need the cub to work correctly? Anyone know where to find one of those?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
This is the first time I've seen the inside of one of these. The Starter pawl looks very much the same as A Kohler recoil pawl.
Which was a style also used in Bombardier Ski-Doo .

It would require the TEC starter cup in Shallow or deep form

BUT, what the heck do I know, its the first time I've seen one, :laugh:

Cory, I am no fan, or expert on these, but I do recall there being a big issue with the pawls being missing, or broken. It seems like you provided a valid fix.

I hope someone verifies this, since the broken ones are selling for much less than the moon rocks on Ebay.

capguncowboy

Cory, I am no fan, or expert on these, but I do recall there being a big issue with the pawls being missing, or broken. It seems like you provided a valid fix.

I hope someone verifies this, since the broken ones are selling for much less than the moon rocks on Ebay.
I've been curious about this as well, but never looked into because I didn't have one. Now that I have one, I'll be sure to post back with the results.

I've been curious about this as well, but never looked into because I didn't have one. Now that I have one, I'll be sure to post back with the results.
Good on ya. I recall several posts on this subject. I'll never have one, because my vintage crap requires too many pulls, or a six foot rope and welding gloves to start.

I think (judging from how many we see broken) that a beefed up version would really be neato bandito.

capguncowboy

Good on ya. I recall several posts on this subject. I'll never have one, because my vintage crap requires too many pulls, or a six foot rope and welding gloves to start.

I think (judging from how many we see broken) that a beefed up version would really be neato bandito.
To be 100% honest, I never really had a desire to own a kickstarter. If I wanted one, I'd probably buy a Tecumseh brand because they seem to have fewer issues. I only bought this one because it was ridiculously cheap. I figured I put it on a garage queen, or maybe on that Clinton engine I've got on a shelf in the garage. It won't get used very often, if at all.

Bump............Did we ever figure out what starter cup we need. Just got one of these kick starters. lol. I was told you need a starter cup with more teeth/bumps. That is about all I know.:shrug:

cfh

I have one of these, with a cup (came with it). The cup is smooth. Frankly it does not look like this thing would work with a smooth cup, but i'm told it does. I haven't tried it yet...

I like the tecumseh style, but frankly, the FM one seems more robust.

kick.jpg