Fantic Motor mini bike with Aspera engine

New to this...have messed with vintage motorcycles for years but mini bikes completely new to me. Found this in a barn in northern Iowa. Literally had to dig it out. Cleaned up and painted frame, pumped up the tires and took the engine apart to paint, basic clean-up. Want to find out exactly what this is and if there are repair manuals, info for engine which I know is Italian made.

Attachments

Wow it has the Itallian Tecumseh? Those are not the easiest thing in the world to find.. fantic made the "Broncco" minibikes .. There's lots of different models.. they are like TX-1 TX-2 so on so forth.. then a letter at the end, like L is lights..

Jeffdubb is a Broncco guy, he knows about as much as anyone will..

Welcome Good to see another from Iowa

If the gas tank is original it looks be a TX-3 . Was the tank a small round white tank ?? My TX-3 below has the one piece forks and your bike has the removeable bars .

Pictures are too small to tell for sure ??

Last edited:
I can take more pics, of course. Would like to find out if any service/repair info is even available so the engine can be looked over properly. The engine turns and I've cleaned up the carb but haven't tried to start it just yet. The bike is in such good shape I'm afraid I'm going to screw something up so figured I'd better reach out to some people who will know a whole bunch more than me.

If it has spent decades in a barn it probably is in remarkabley good overall condition.. should be little more than clean the points, maybe have to knock the dust off of your valves and seats.. clean the carb good.. :shrug:

The Aspera is pretty much exactly a Tecumseh.. I mean copied them to a "T" The magneto says Ducatti on it, the flywheel has different looking fins... but otherwise :shrug:

Anything you do to a Tecumseh H30 is gonna be the same thing..

Actually the motor tag has only these numbers---HT25/B3111 and then what I'm guessing is a serial number 2735532. I'm a bit of a gearhead junkie so love finding out as much about this stuff as I can. Mentioned I've goofed with vintage motorcycles for years, also all kinds of vehicles. Any help I can get will be very appreciated!!

No they are 4 strokes..

I don't know what the numbers mean on the Italian motors.. H25 in the Tecumseh world would be horizontal crank, 2.5 horse...

I don't know what all sizes they made.. Mine has a pretty small bore, never checked the stroke.. It might be a 2.5..

markus

tx-3

I scanned what little info was in an old mini bike service manual on Apera 4 strokes for you. there really are just Tecumseh, I want to say they do have steel sleeves like the older tecs but I'm not real sure on that. they also use Dellorto carbs, I've read the Asperas seemed to make more power than the US made tecs did, maybe that carb flows better or something. if you click on them it should make the scans bigger

Mine is an iron bore, and everybody I've heard talk about them always says iron bore.. probably they just are made with iron cylinders..:shrug:

Power is the same I'd imagine.. maybe %1 difference or something, but it's all the same exact machine, and same size and everything.. There really is nowhere for some massive improvement over the Tec...

probably just people talking shit.. "MY motor is Italian.. so it's more powerful.. Italian stallion..:glare:" "3.5 stallion power :glare:"

You know how they do.. :laugh:

Last edited:
So is this a TX3? I found a similar looking mini that says its a Tomahawk maybe 1968? Does that seem about right? I think it's missing the rear brake and not totally sure whether the gas tank is original.

So is this a TX3? I found a similar looking mini that says its a Tomahawk maybe 1968? Does that seem about right? I think it's missing the rear brake and not totally sure whether the gas tank is original.
yes it is a TX-3 Tomahawk or just TX-3 whichever name is your choice :thumbsup:

some were scrub brakes and some used a clutch brake none of the TX-3 had a brake on the rear wheel .