Fat Wheels

For a fat wheel/tire mini bike build, what kind of wheels are usually used? I've been following Low and Wide's build and I'm just curious where I can find these types of rims and wheels?

Most ATV wheels are offset- is that generally acceptable or should I look for something that is centered?

Thanks I'm a newb and I'm planning out a big wheeled mini bike. This site is friggin awesome.

Patrick

22x11x8 is standard fat tire size. Carlisle knobby tires are the classics, but modern variations exist. I think wheels are usually just standard 8" ATV wheels you can find at Northern tool or Tractor supply, etc

22x11x8 is standard fat tire size. Carlisle knobby tires are the classics, but modern variations exist. I think wheels are usually just standard 8" ATV wheels you can find at Northern tool or Tractor supply, etc
Ah I see. So I guess the question I have left is can I use an offset ATV wheel (where the mounting holes are not center with the width of the rim) and build a custom hub/axel to center it out?

I found that most ATV rims/wheels are offset. Thanks!

If your planing a scratch build keep your eyes open for a blown /up rolling chassis honda atc 3 wheeler the front forks and wheel work great and if you go with a live rear axle a simple keyed hub and sprocket drive plate

If your planing a scratch build keep your eyes open for a blown /up rolling chassis honda atc 3 wheeler the front forks and wheel work great and if you go with a live rear axle a simple keyed hub and sprocket drive plate
great idea on the ATC, plus I never considered a live real axle..

oldfatguy

you can use go kart 4 on 4 hubs for this. the front hub has bearings and the rear hub is keyed for a 1 " shaft. Then you just use 4 on 4 trailer rims. There are suppliers that sell the rear hub with bearings and the sprocket mount but they are hard to find. I made one but it wasn't easy. You could always just buy a bad dog roller with the big wheels too or just get them to sell you the hubs.

^^ this,
I built a bike recently with 1" live axle back end and keyed hub like mentioned above, then I also used a 1" gear holder on the axle. the front end was done with a hub and bearings and I used real aggressive snow blower tires front and rear on 4 lug/8" rims I bought.

Personally, if you're building from scratch, I would go with more commonly (now) available wheels/tires. 10" or 12" wheels. Yes, if you go ATV, you can use the offset wheels, I would aim for the closest to being centered which I believe the only ones I have seen are 4x3 offset. I am not sure, but GT wheels may not be offset, they also come in 10" or 12" wheels, though they are more common in the 10" wheel. GT owners don't care about weight (helps with traction on a GT), so they will likely be heavier than an ATV wheel, but if that is OK, you should be able to find them at Tractor Supply or order them through Sears or see if you could find a tractor junkyard.

Nothing wrong with the 22x11x8 size, a good selection of tires are still available, but I have noticed that there are far fewer tires in that size than about 25 years ago (when my dad and I built a fat tired go-kart) due to ATV popularity and if you want to "future proof" your bike, going to a 10" or 12" rim would be the better choice, IMHO.

Paul

I get most of my wheels from guys that lift there golf carts and sell me the factory steel 8" wheels. I dont pay more than 10 bucks a piece. Then i take the turf tires off and give them back... Most of the wheels are 8x7,8x8,8x9....

I would stay with the center wheels in 8x8. Anyway you build it your going to need a Jack shaft for the rear sprocket because the wheels are so wide they while never line up with the engine out put shaft, Yamaha big wheels, Missile conversion for the 250R into a two wheeler also used them also.

I have a Honda ATC 110 that I have been kicking around for the same project, but I will cut the front of the frame and have to build the rest. My biggest issue was also what to use for the back axle and hub. I was thinking of a front hub with a sprocket welded on it.

WLB

I didn't weld the sprocket on but I did use a front hub. Saves a lot of work. Will have to make a new axle from drill rod to get the wheel centered.