figuring out crankshaft swaps?? looking for a Guru or advice

weve been redoing some of the 8-10hp motors,w 1 inch shafts,
and we are having some serious problems trying to decipher which cranks to buy to Replace the cranks in the motors now.

first motor is a 8hp?? sears snowblower -1 inch shaft no Pto bolt hole.
143666032 unknown year maybe? 77
this one has a lighting coil,and runs great.

second motor is a briggs 10hp? off a generac generator - tapered shaft/no keyway
3bsxs3422ht sticker says 2006 model.
no lighting coil,but runs great.

we need to have a 1 inch shaft crank W a keyway to replace both.
how,and how and omg how does anyone decipher all those cranks and numbers on ebay to figure out which crank we need??
ive been looking for days now and dont know what im looking for.

can someone please help us?

125ccCrazy

if the Tec eng just needs the threaded hole in the crank to hold a clutch I would just drill and tap it, lot easier and cheaper than swapping cranks.

If the briggs has a 1" shaft with a taper on the end, have a keyway cut in it and the excess length cut off or call Jimbo at Fastermotors about a crank.

the smallenginesuppliers.com site has crankshaft dimensions if you have the cranks in front of you to measure dont know if this is of any help

ty for the replies,we are waiting till my machinist can free up enough time to turn 5 cranks.
we also scored a bunch of snowblowers w engines some with cranks that are drilled/keywayed,
so we are already on our mockups and final builds.
should be interesting to see what a 8-10hp tec does w a tav....looking forwards to the experience!

also,if anyones ever hopped up a Subaru Robin 5hp motor,please lmk.
i cannot find a single shred of info about performance tips anywheres for these.

Last edited:
I had a 10 HP B/S tapered crankshaft turned down to 3/4" slotted and tapped for $40.00 by Frank at oldschoolminibikes.com. I added a slide type carb and used a torque converter. I mounted it into a Harrison frame with a springer front end. To answer you question about what a 10 HP feels like with a TAV, it is just amazing. You will have to constantly be on guard against hurting yourself with an unexpected wheelie.

would it be possible to get a good look at your tav setup on that bike Sir?
do you have it built with the chain and all lined up?
its almost the same size/build frame so it should be helpful.

Last edited: