first rebuild

so 2 months ago i decided to try my first rebuild. i didnt do a project log cause i wasnt sure if it was going to be completed or not or how long it would take. but today i finished it and i thought i would share it. before this project i knew pretty much nothing but thanks to Jay Wrix i know much much more now. if you get the chance to talk to him hes a great guy. so while waiting for parts i build a breather. then when parts started ariving i pulled the engine apart and pullled out the piston rod and replaced it with a billet rod. then i put new gaskets all around and sealed it back up. i got a .032 copper gasket and sealed that with permatex. then i got a new header from Robertson's Kart pipes. then i got a new cloth air filter and a pre filter. mean while i decided to go with a jhon deere color scheme and i painted the engine yellow and the kart green with the exception of 2 pieces of the roll cage. today i took it out and ran it for the break in period and then after some small carb tuning it was running awesome. i used my dads GPS and i recorded 32 mph. not bad for just governor removal and a new intake and header. plus not to mention my first build. well ill post some pics from start to end and ill try to get the short video of it in the break in period.

me on the kart

my try at the video it might not work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZNUHnEUkjw

Looks Great, Glad to see that everything finally came together!

Lets see a video of ya driving it!:thumbsup:

The paint looks really really good by the way

Last edited:

ann0yed

That looks like a fun ride! I don't get it, someone's standing barefoot in the garage, the door's open and there's obviously snow on the ground outside... :confused:

-j

it rides wicked. ive got to get new spindles tho cause it over turns to the right and turns about 25 degrees to the left.

and yeah it was like 50 out side and there was snow on the ground but in maine when it gets to 50 its warm! haha so yeah and it feels like ur going 45 but its only 30 but it it so much better.

im selling it in a month or so cause im moving and cant bring it with me. and then im buying a mini bike and a new briggs 5hp and doing all the same stuff plus ill be putting in a new cam hopefully:scooter::scooter:

Looks great, but whats with the breather "filter"? That breather is there to function as a basic PCV valve and does not suck anything in, it also spits out oil so the filter would eventually become full of oil? What is the point? :doah:

Reminds me of a Davidsfarm video where a person added a bunch of pepboys filters to various vacuum breathers on a eagle talon.

Dirt can work its way into the breather, and Ive ran mine like that for four years now, and never had a filter issue, still works great, ( and I run my engine beyond hard) Why run crap into your carb, when you can vent to atmosphere?

Same reason karters run them on a catch can, hot-rodders and nascar runs them on the top of the valve cover,

It just keeps the dirt out:thumbsup:

Looks great, but whats with the breather "filter"? That breather is there to function as a basic PCV valve and does not suck anything in, it also spits out oil so the filter would eventually become full of oil? What is the point? :doah:

Reminds me of a Davidsfarm video where a person added a bunch of pepboys filters to various vacuum breathers on a eagle talon.
Technically the breather shouldnt be spitting out oil. That means your cylinder/rings are worn and you have blow-by and compression loss.

And you watch Daves Farm too?? I love that guy, he has alot of great small enigne videos.

To me, this is what it's all about. :thumbsup: You have a young guy with a briggs and a Kart,,, does he throw a clone in it? NO!

Looks like he had more fun and pride tweaking the engine he had it was good. :thumbsup:

To me, this is what it's all about. :thumbsup: You have a young guy with a briggs and a Kart,,, does he throw a clone in it? NO!

Looks like he had more fun and pride tweaking the engine he had it was good. :thumbsup:
And he is selling it to get a Minibike with a clone on it. HAHAHA Just kidding...