Fork Rebuild 1971 Speedway Scorpion 10" Model

I have a 1971 Speedway Scorpion front fork rebuild in progress. The hard part is done as you can see... Someone had pumped grease into both sides!!! What a freaking mess!!!

IMG_0215.JPG IMG_0216.JPG IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0220.JPG IMG_0221.JPG IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0224.JPG

PLEASE HELP!!!

I need plastic retainer rings that fit to rubber. As you can see, mine are broke. One could be salvageable but the other is not. WHERE TO FIND THESE PLASTIC RINGS??? Also I would like some springs, because as you can see, one of mine came out in rusty pieces. I see there is a set of springs on "ePay" and will most likely bid for them because I need them, but those plastic rings??? Where to get them???

What would you use to clean rust out of the tubes and forks? I need some sort of drill attachment with a wire brush on a shaft or something? That or get them cleaned out by a shop before finishing? Would a person refinishing them clean up the insides? I want to have my fork tubes powder coated black to match my frame and I want everything else refinished nice and shiny. What should something like this cost and are there any suggestions where to go. I live in Omaha Nebraska, if that makes a difference.

Lastly, what kind of hydraulic fluid is being used on these forks? Are there any certain recommendations? I sure the hell will not be pumping grease into it like someone else has done prior to my ownership!!!

I had the same problem with my forks :doah: I made new ones from a nylon washer we use at work that had the same OD and I turned the right ID on the lathe and then found the right size o-ring to replace the seal rubber :thumbsup: Unfortunately I only made the one set and it was trial and error and I had the fork leg there with me :doah:
You could try placing an add in the "Parts Wanted" section of the classifieds :thumbsup: As for the oil I used hydraulic jack fluid :thumbsup: add an ounce at a time until you are happy with them(I think I used 3oz in each leg) and even with the part I made and replaced the still weep a little :doah:
Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks. I just got done posting in the parts wanted section. Hope I get some bites... I also got a box full of random O rings and such but am I am still unsure of making something else work.

Thanks. I just got done posting in the parts wanted section. Hope I get some bites... I also got a box full of random O rings and such but am I am still unsure of making something else work.
I had the same problem as you when I had my forks apart. I actually glued my broken rings back together. Once they are back inside the seal and the nut is screwed back on they really can't go anywhere. It appears they work just fine. I haven't seen any weeping fluid. Those are my extra springs on eBay by the way.

Chad

Thanks Chad. I will put them back like you did yours, but I only have the one full ring to put back. LOL. I have been speaking with you on eBay and will bid on those springs and some other stuff that you have. I appreciate the communication. You have been very helpful.

Thanks Chad. I will put them back like you did yours, but I only have the one full ring to put back. LOL. I have been speaking with you on eBay and will bid on those springs and some other stuff that you have. I appreciate the communication. You have been very helpful.
That's funny. I wondered if that was you or if somebody had the same problem as you.

Yeah, it's me. You can tell by the taped throttle cable ball on the fork nut. LOL. I think I told you about that. It worked. Putting it all back together should be a lot more pleasant than taking it apart. If only I can get those parts... Time will tell.

try Bob Frogoman in Memphis NY he worked for speedway 315 689 7047 9-12 he purchased a lot of inventory when they closed and has alot of speedway fork experiance

try Bob Frogoman in Memphis NY he worked for speedway 315 689 7047 9-12 he purchased a lot of inventory when they closed and has alot of speedway fork experiance
BOB FROGOMAN IT IS!!! This guy knows his stuff and I can't tell you how long I spoke with him. Very helpful guy. Thank you so much for this guys number. He seems to know everyone too. I gave him all of my VINs because he catalogs them. He wants to know who owns the bike, where it is at, and any other information, including photos. If you want to know where your bike came from or who has owned it he might just have that information. Oh, and the phone is not a good way to get a hold of him. He says he likes to talk and doesn't get anything done when on the phone. I left him a message and it took a few days for him to call me back but the guy is loaded down with work and it takes time. Best way to contact Bob is by email and give him time, lots of it. A lot of people buy from him. His email is bobmbman@gmail.com Again, thank you all for your help.

2SlickNick

Speedway called for 3oz. of 10 weight hydraulic fork oil in each tube.

I know this is an older thread but could someone help with a quick question.
I to have a speedway: scarab, and have forks disassembled at this time. Mine were quite junkie greasy too.
My question is when I fill it up with fluid – do I put the fluid in the leg/bottom part? Or do I feel the fluid in the hole on top of the triple trees? The same tube that uses the brass plug at the end?

thanks for bearing with me.

Last edited: