Found a RAT

That's a great candidate for a rat rod Yoop. My Dad had some old Chevy's we planned on making a pair of rat rods from but he got sick and we sold them, one was a 39 coupe and the other a 40 2dr sedan which was to be mine and resembles this car you are looking at to some degree but with a sleeker rear profile. We hauled em here from his old place and they sat here until a neighborhood businessman (the guy who does our seats) bought both cars, they now sit at his place rotting because he stored em outside where we did not. I want to sell my 65 Nova which is an older restoration that has held up well and rarely seen any more than a light rain in the 30yrs I've had it and once I have to money in hand I'll buy a ratty old 48-54 Chevy truck to rat out. I've always wanted a fat fender truck and I'm not getting any younger or better so I best hurry up and get one started.

surprising how well it runs after sitting so long Randy
Got it running off the tank now.Been cleaning,blasting and painting the brake and front suspension parts.
New skins for the original rims.Still waiting on some parts but won't be long before it sees the road again after 63 years

found the cheapest cylinders on ebay.alot of stuff is available,but can be pricey.
the pivot points for the spindles I got from a place that machines vintage car parts,not cheap.
this car has independent front suspension unlike the chevy's of the same year that had a straight front axle.
kinda a weird setup,the upper arms bolt into a box on the frame that has an internal shock setup in it.
if I rebuilt/replace those and all the pivot points on the whole front end i'd be broke.
much cheaper to put a mustang front setup in it and have modern suspension and brakes.
just replacing the spindle pivots for now (since they had the most slop)and make a decision later on which way to go

the rear also has links that go from the axle to some strange shock setups that are bolted to the frame.
I'll take some pics Tom

Front upper arms are connected to the "box" on the frame that is the shock

rear axle is linked to the shock mounted on the frame and has a large rod that runs to the shock on the other side

Lever-action shocks were common on English cars. MG, Austin, Morris and others used them right up into the 1980s. I have some out in my garage. There's a rocker and a two pistons inside that stroke back and forth when the suspension moves.

Got the brake system almost done,all new lines,wheel cylinders,rebuild the master and had the shoes relined.
First time I've used copper/nickel brake line,awesome stuff,bends and flares really easily and will never rust.
Front suspension is back together.
Just waiting on the hardware kits for the shoes to finish it,will be here Monday.
Started cleaning under the hood,and put new hoses on, waiting on a new belt.

BEFORE