Front end wobble

I’ve recently rescued my old trailblazer minibike from my dads barn and fixed it up. It’s not back to original by any means but still pretty cool. When I first test drove it I started getting a front end wobble at around 30 mph. I’m running 6” rims with 3 1/2 wide knobby tire on the front. I replaced steering column bushings but still getting the wobble. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Attachments

I’ve recently rescued my old trailblazer minibike from my dads barn and fixed it up. It’s not back to original by any means but still pretty cool. When I first test drove it I started getting a front end wobble at around 30 mph. I’m running 6” rims with 3 1/2 wide knobby tire on the front. I replaced steering column bushings but still getting the wobble. Does anybody have any suggestions?
My first thought would be the front tire. I would check the wheel bearing’s, maybe a “set” in the tire from sitting in one spot for a long time or maybe something inside the front tire. Like I said it’s just a thought but that’s where I would start.

Lizardking

Welcome to the Trail Blazer club! Can't go wrong with orange!!

I would try a different tire for street use. Maybe front wheel is way out of balance like Ginz said. Steering stabilizer if you plan on high speeds. Any play in the front wheel?

That's an aggressive tread pattern for street/road use. First thing would be to put the bike on a stand and spin the front tire assembly to check for run out...

desert rat

I have a road bike that had the same problem It developed at the same time, 15,000 miles, on all bikes of the same model( VTX 1300C). We found the problem to be the tension on the barrings in the front end pivot. We had to change from the stock ball barrings to temkin tapers. You don't have that option so you can try to just tighten your pivot bolt down some more, if the front end is moving up and down in the frame tube you may need to put a thin washer on the bolt between the frame and fork mount tube.
Just for kicks this is my 1300c/s 90,000 miles now.

Attachments

That's an aggressive tread pattern for street/road use. First thing would be to put the bike on a stand and spin the front tire assembly to check for run out...
First thing to check for right there^^^^. Watch for both up and down and side to side wobble. It could be the tires, wheels, or BOTH. Report back with your observations.
Michael

First off it hates that fucking motor….
Thanks for the laugh early in the morning Skipp. I’m trying to keep my mb’s as close to era correct as I can but it’s not easy and it isn’t cheap. The crankshaft that you suggested is going to work out fine and I thank you again for all of your help.I think I’m learning about that rabbit hole thing.

Attachments

Welcome to the Trail Blazer club! Can't go wrong with orange!!

I would try a different tire for street use. Maybe front wheel is way out of balance like Ginz said. Steering stabilizer if you plan on high speeds. Any play in the front wheel?
No play in the front wheel. New bearings throughout the bike. I’ll prop it up and try to check the balance. The orange was a must for sure. I’m an oklahoma state alum and had to do it. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the laugh early in the morning Skipp. I’m trying to keep my mb’s as close to era correct as I can but it’s not easy and it isn’t cheap. The crankshaft that you suggested is going to work out fine and I thank you again for all of your help.I think I’m learning about that rabbit hole thing.
If the motor was causing the wobble in the front end that would certainly be what I would change. First time restoring one and I’m sure I’ll end up changing a lot of parts and possibly the motor if it gives me issues.

If the motor was causing the wobble in the front end that would certainly be what I would change. First time restoring one and I’m sure I’ll end up changing a lot of parts and possibly the motor if it gives me issues.
Eddie I in no way meant to imply that you did anything wrong by using a newer motor. Your bike your rules. I’m a transplanted Okie now and like the Orange and am glad you’re resurrecting that classic. I’m also doing some of my first mini bike restorations and learning as I go thanks in big part to this site. Good luck with your build my friend!!

Motor wouldn’t cause the wobble….it’s the trail blazer itself trying to buck it off….

seriously…I’ve found wobble cause any where from bad bearing to as simple as a bad tire…check your axles….is it a side to side…or more of a bounce….two different issues….I have a new wheel and tire on A build that bounces like. Crazy…going to toss the cheap nasty Chinese wheel….thanks to the warehouse in Pennsylvania….No quality control anywhere…

Lizardking

Motor wouldn’t cause the wobble….it’s the trail blazer itself trying to buck it off….

seriously…I’ve found wobble cause any where from bad bearing to as simple as a bad tire…check your axles….is it a side to side…or more of a bounce….two different issues….I have a new wheel and tire on A build that bounces like. Crazy…going to toss the cheap nasty Chinese wheel….thanks to the warehouse in Pennsylvania….No quality control anywhere…
Lmfao.... It's trying to buck it off!!!! Funny shit right there!!

Lizardking

Desert Rat gave some good info with the wobble of death fix. I've seen a few videos of different motorcycles experiencing the wobble.

Most people on here will rather fix the original or a correct era engine instead of that Predator. Nothing wrong with the Predator.

Last edited: