Front tire bouncing up and down

I have a coleman ct200u, finally got it going again now that i replaced the missing clutch bolt (thanks to those that helped me here), now my front tire seems to kind of bump up and down a little when i am riding, i tried letting a little air out to no avail, what could be causing this, could the front fork be too tight? Any help is appreciated.

Also is there any way to make this thing a bit more quiet?

Triley41395

I have a coleman ct200u, finally got it going again now that i replaced the missing clutch bolt (thanks to those that helped me here), now my front tire seems to kind of bump up and down a little when i am riding, i tried letting a little air out to no avail, what could be causing this, could the front fork be too tight? Any help is appreciated.

Also is there any way to make this thing a bit more quiet?
How about pictures??? Your bouncing tire could be several different things, bad tire, bad rim, tire not seated correctly, bearings, bent axel or a combination of these things.

Augiedoggie

Any chance your tire went flat in storage and filled with rain water? That's always fun. Lift bike and support it with tires off ground. Spin tire and observe rotation. Spin free? Does it stop rotating at the same spot? Mark low spot with chalk or crayon and rotate tire several times and observe its stopping point. This can tell you if you have a balance problem. Put vice grip or clamp on fork keg with handle close to tire tread. Use a stick or dowel for measurement reference. Rotate wheel slowly and observe clearance between tire and vice grip. Is tire running true or does it seem egg shaped or wobbly? Do the same on sides of tire. This can help determine if your tire or wheel has excessive runout.

Any chance your tire went flat in storage and filled with rain water? That's always fun. Lift bike and support it with tires off ground. Spin tire and observe rotation. Spin free? Does it stop rotating at the same spot? Mark low spot with chalk or crayon and rotate tire several times and observe its stopping point. This can tell you if you have a balance problem. Put vice grip or clamp on fork keg with handle close to tire tread. Use a stick or dowel for measurement reference. Rotate wheel slowly and observe clearance between tire and vice grip. Is tire running true or does it seem egg shaped or wobbly? Do the same on sides of tire. This can help determine if your tire or wheel has excessive runout.
It has been in a shed, so it has been dry, but ill have to try to check the spin, thank you!

Attachments

My dad checked out the tire, says he cant see any deformaties or noticable issues, the tire spins freely. Not sure if i should try to get a new tire?

My dad checked out the tire, says he cant see any deformaties or noticable issues, the tire spins freely. Not sure if i should try to get a new tire?
The tires and wheels are straight out of China. Quality control is questionable on them. What you're describing sounds normal. That stock tire is garbage too. You aren't running fast enough for it to be something worth worrying about.

I spent $160 on a DWT front wheel for a bike and it ran true as could be. Threw a tire on it and it didn't run straight. It was good enough that I didn't have any issues running 70+mph.

edit: To your more quiet question, stock exhaust will be quietest.

Harquebus

Not sure if i should try to get a new tire?
My vote is for flat spots. Any vehicle with pneumatic tires will generally develop flat spots from sitting too long. 24 hours might not be enough to develop severe flat spots though, but a few days to a week and I notice them on an old Saab I don't drive every day. The flat spots diminish the longer you drive and are unnoticeable after a half mile or so.

Just guessing here but if that is your problem, store the bike with the wheels off the ground. A hard plastic milk crate is good, or wooden blocks or even a padded cinder block (so you don't scratch the paint) placed under the center of the bike.

Could also be low quality Chinese tires. They could be out-of-round or lumpy looking as they come out of the mold, or from improper storage.

As for making it quieter, most people keep the stock box muffler but you might try experimenting with something custom. Anything with the proper outer/inner diameter could conceivably be used. Unfortunately the stock muffler just can't be sawn off from the short exhaust pipe that it is attached to, it is not long enough. Look around for a 1 inch diameter mini bike exhaust pipe/header and then a 1 inch or metric 25-28mm mini bike/pit bike/dirt bike/quad, atv muffler and experiment. Bigger is better but too big can stress the exhaust mount on the engine so make certain the muffler has a bracket to mount it to the frame.

On ebay I ran across several Dirt Bike, Pit Bike, Quad, ATV long style, cylindrical mufflers that might work.

There's probably more than a few examples here on the site, but this is basically what I mean (with or without the header wrap):
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/custom-alum-muffler-and-wrap.64561/

Last edited:
Leave it in the sun to really heat up the tires. Make sure the pressure is at max. Then ride as safely as you can. I agree with the flat spot diagnosis, and if it was mine, this is how I would try to fix it before replacing the tire.

Actually, I skipped a step in my process. If it proves to be a flat-spotted tire, I just don't let anybody ride it on smooth surfaces. They'll never notice it. Cheapest fix ever!:scooter:;)