Fuji Go Devil recoil starter question

I was pulling the starter rope on my Go Devil the other day and it went slack. So with considerable effort, due to the old screw heads being stripped, I removed it and found that it's pretty different than the regular normal stuff. It has 2 sharp teeth ,one on each side of the spring housing,that pop out and I guess engage the starter? The workings are held into the outside casing by a C clamp instead of a nut.
I'm going to bite the bullet and tear into this thing, but I'm wondering what surprises if any ,I'm in store for?
Also, another question. The thing started and ran like a top a couple weeks ago after I finished putting it together. Now it won't start.(thus the broken recoil). It's got plenty of spark and compression as before, plug doesn't look fouled, it did have some blow by when I started it previously. Any ideas gurus?

Looks like a lot of spring on that coil. You could try taking a torch and annealing the last 3 inches or so of the spring and then bend it into shape.

I've been looking at replacements. Honda has one that looks similar but I don't know how big the diameter is. Husquavarna looks good too. I t looks like maybe a chainsaw replacement will be the way to go. The coil isn't but 3" in diameter.

Thanks for the annealing idea Kid. I found another similar size spring at the lawnmower repair shop and annealed it, forming the ends I needed.
The old spring was brittle.