Gear Reduction Unit from Baja Mini on a DB30?

I just got my db30 and baja mini in tonight so its time to start making some of the mods you guys have posted on the site. They have them on sale at the Schucks Auto in Fairbanks Alaska now for 169.00 and 375.00. It cost me 284.00 to have them shipped in an airplane to where I live, but welcome to rural Alaska. I noticed that the baja mini has a gear reduction system, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting that on the db30 with a 6.5 clone, I am looking to get more hill climbing out of the db30 for my son (for trail riding dirt and gravel) and do not really want to see a high end speed. I am putting on a tav2 on the baja mini for myself. If anyone has tried the gear reduction on the db30 please let me know what you thought of it. I can't wait to try the bikes out, it was -55 wild chill today so it will be a couple more months!

He is 90 lbs, what is the top speed you get out of the standard 6.5 clone with the standard cluthch? I am more concerned about him wrapping it out and going to fast, the gear reduction would help on the hills and cut down the top speed I think.

delray

WOW,6.5 is alot of power for a 90 pound kid. even with a gear reduction unit he will never be able to hold the bike down. maybe a bolt on jackshaft on is stock db bike first and then see how he go's.

Yea, he could skid logs with it. If the reduction is the same as mine, it's 2:1. That would double your pulling power and cut the speed in half.

with a 90lb kid and stock gearing the bike will go anywhere, hopefully he can handle it. you can adjust the throttle limit screw to slow the bike down. with the governor connected the bike will go 28-30 mph maximum

The jackshaft off of the Baja Mini wont bolt onto the stock 2.8hp DB motor. The Mini runs a 3/4" shaft, and the DB runs something close to a 5/8". At least on the two that I have worked with anyway.

delray

caddy kid
The jackshaft off of the Baja Mini wont bolt onto the stock 2.8hp DB motor. The Mini runs a 3/4" shaft, and the DB runs something close to a 5/8". At least on the two that I have worked with anyway.
you can always buy new sprockets for the 5/8 shaft engine:thumbsup: big bike takes a 40/41 chain and the small db takes 35 chain:thumbsup:.........:scooter:

I have a freind/client who owns hardaware stores and Jackovich Industrial. Melo "Buz" Jacovich has the connections in Fairbanks. Tell him Curtis Scott from California sent you to him personally. He will help you if he can?? He loves Nascar.

Also, tell him I am very very sorry!

TT

Last edited: