Gearing

I may have found an issue with why my trike isn't revving like it should. My jackshaft is bent after going off a jump and bottoming out on the jump with the driven. I thought it just bent the driven so I replaced it. But after jacking it up and running it. I could see the whole jackshaft was making the driven wobble which leads me to believe once the belt dropped in it was getting stuck in high.

Now with my weight I want to gear it lower if it doesn't fix itself when I replace the jackshaft. I have a 54t on the axle. That is as big as I can go. I have a 9t running to it. That is as low as I want to go. There isn't enough meat on an 8t for my liking. On the other side of the jackshaft is a 7" driven.
What I plan on doing is using a TAV with backing plate and then using the sprocket on the tav to go to another sprocket on the jackshaft where the 7" currently sits. Basically adding 2 more sprockets into the mix.

Here is my question. If I run the 54t and 9t what gears would I need to put on the back of the driven on the Tav and on the jackshaft from that sprocket to give me a 7:1. And what sprockets to give me an 8:1 ratio
I am assuming with my current set up I am at 6:1 with the 54t and 9t without the two proposed added sprockets.

Very simple. If you want to stick with the existing 9T/54T sprockets and don't want to go 8T on anything then that narrows it down to just one location- the input side of the countershaft.
(IN/OUT)
10T/9T= 6.7:1
11T/9T= 7.3:1
12T/9T= 8.0:1

So on the opposite side of the 9t is where I use 10/11 or 12t... Do I use the same 10/11 or 12 on the back side of the driven going down to that? So I would buy a pair.

pomfish

Use this calculator;
AGK - Gear Ratio Calculator - Affordable Go Karts

If you are running a #35 chain the TAV output gear could be a 13 tooth, now plug that into the calculator and if you used a 15 tooth on the input side of the jackshaft with your existing 9/54 gearing you would be at 6.923. Close enough to 7 for government work:)
Go to 17 tooth input and result is 7.846

Play around with various numbers and see what you like.
Your engine is going to have to spin harder/higher so take that into the equation as well.
Good luck and have fun!
Later,
Keith

My mass tends to screw up the power/weight ratio too :) More power is always the answer.
I'd get it back to smoothly functioning first.
Next, see how the clutch is shifting. Getting it to hold a lower gear may be easier than the Rube Goldberg deal.
Is the engine big enough? Torque-increasing mods are common and typically reap big rewards.
If you can move the engine, to "shorten" the belt, it will make it engage at a shorter CVT ratio, giving more snap. We do that on the golf carts.

Last edited:
So on the opposite side of the 9t is where I use 10/11 or 12t... Do I use the same 10/11 or 12 on the back side of the driven going down to that? So I would buy a pair.
This is how it would flow if you were to utilize a torque converter:

Driven/Counter-IN/Counter-OUT/Wheel Sprocket
9T/12T/9T/54T= 8:1

That's one combination, Post #4 is another. Neither will get you any kind of top speed you may be missing with an arrangement like this...

18.5 inch golf cart tires...35 chain is not an option. That is for girly men who like their chainds popping off...lol
Motor has the power and I am sure once I replace the bent jackshaft the clutches will function fine if they are not already. This is for the Oval track and TT course race track where I need the torque coming out of the corners. I am racing guys half my weight... Adding the extra sprockets will allow me to swap them easily and be able to change gearing depending on different races... I will keep my stock trike alone for comparison and if I need top speed.

pomfish

If you are only running the 35 chain from the Tav to the jackshaft it should not be a concern as long as you use good chain.
The go cart guys run more power than you are with #35 no problem. They are only running a short chain so it is feasible.

Of course you need to run heavy chain to the rear sprocket.

The advantage of #35 is when you quick change the sprockets you may be able to not have to change the chain length if you have enough engine adjustment available.

Last edited:
When the Tav is on the chain length to the jackshaft won't be too long. I am hoping I can come up with 2 sets of gearing that I can change in and out that will also work with 2 sets of chains that are the right lengths. So when I change the sprockets I can change the chain. With the 40/41 it is a lot more forgiving if it is a little loose and doesn't come off like the 35 chain does on bumpy terrain.

pomfish

I got ya. Yeah you're right bigger teeth, less chance of derail.
Good idea with the pre made chain.
What size jack shaft do you run, 3/4" ?

Those hopped up 3 wheeler's do look like fun. Wish you guys raced closer to me, would love to check it out.
Later,
Keith

My particular trike was set up for a 5/8" jackshaft from the factory.The clearance to the backbone won't allow a 3/4" without modification. The 5/8" is plenty strong and at the speed I hit the jump it would have bent a 3/4" one too I think.

They werent really made for jumps. There was an option for the race. Go over the pallet jump or weave in and out of the tires. I was afraid that if I was full speed going over the tires that I would have gotten my wheel tangled up in one...So I went the jump route...lol

Ok. I am going to set it up for 6.667 and use a backup set up for 7.333.. With the TAV I am losing my 7" driven and going to a 6"... We will see how this works when I get the gears.But I'll get to use the cover...

Last edited: