Gilson brake band

Hello All,

I am the new owner of a 5hp Gilson woohoo!!! - just like the one I had a a child - just loving it heheehee!!!

Does anyone here own one or know someone who does? I would like to ask if anyone here can help me reconstruct the band brake - I am not asking for you to make it for me just provide pictures - I have a really good idea how it should be constructed, but thought I'd reach out to the community first -

Thanks in advance -

Scott

mustangfrank

Hello All,

I am the new owner of a 5hp Gilson woohoo!!! - just like the one I had a a child - just loving it heheehee!!!

Does anyone here own one or know someone who does? I would like to ask if anyone here can help me reconstruct the band brake - I am not asking for you to make it for me just provide pictures - I have a really good idea how it should be constructed, but thought I'd reach out to the community first -

Thanks in advance -

Scott
Ahh, reliving a childhood memory, that's what got me back into it, MTD in my case. Check out the Media Section while you're waiting for someone with direct experience, I just saw a couple pics in there of an OG Gilson rear brake.

ELT

It's been a while since I replaced mine but I think it's a 4" band. It has a bolt anchor on one end and a eyelet on the top. I think mine came from stens, but OldMiniBikes should have them too. Replacement bands may not be as wide as the origional one was, but will work fine.

It's been a while since I replaced mine but I think it's a 4" band. It has a bolt anchor on one end and a eyelet on the top. I think mine came from stens, but OldMiniBikes should have them too. Replacement bands may not be as wide as the origional one was, but will work fine.
Thanks ELT! I think I should clarify my requests LOL! I have the band - I am missing the mechanism/hardware that connects the cable to the band. There are holes in the frame there and I have scoured the web trying to find pictures close up enough to reverse engineer the parts but found no joy :)

ELT

Here's a picture of my brake set up. Skipp's has the origonal band, mine has what is available now. Not all bike's used the tall cable anchor. On some bikes the cable is secured in the bent tab on the swing arm that the longer support is bolted to. Along with the taller support was a longer operating arm. More leverage better brakes.

Attachments

Here's a picture of my brake set up. Skipp's has the origonal band, mine has what is available now. Not all bike's used the tall cable anchor. On some bikes the cable is secured in the bent tab on the swing arm that the longer support is bolted to. Along with the taller support was a longer operating arm. More leverage better brakes.
ELT great pics much thanks! I'll compare what is bolted now on my bike to compare - yes Skipp's is different than my set up....yours looks more like mine - what I would like to have are pics of the swing arm assembly and how it is welded up - I can hopefully fabricate or replicate it... beautiful thanks for the pics!!!

Scott

This is all I have to start with.......

Attachments

capguncowboy

Hey there, nice to see you working on the Gilson. That rear bracket might not be original to the bike, but it looked like it was made to well to be aftermarket. That being said, it's definitely over engineered. Maybe it was an early design and they altered it later?

Are you wanting to alter the bracket or just figure out how that one goes back together in the assembly?

Here is a picture that might help -- it's not much but it shows the attachment points for the bracket. The axle goes through the center. Everything has to be put together, and then the wheel/bracket gets slid into position at the same time

2014-07-19 13.25.05.jpg

ELT

This is all I have to start with.......
That right angle tab by the homemade bracket is what is supposed to hold the cable housing. There should be a threaded thimble in there to hold the brake cable and give you brake adjustment. When I get home I'll try to get a picture of the missing piece you need to fabricate.

That right angle tab by the homemade bracket is what is supposed to hold the cable housing. There should be a threaded thimble in there to hold the brake cable and give you brake adjustment. When I get home I'll try to get a picture of the missing piece you need to fabricate.
Thanks ELT!

ELT

Here are some more pictues of my brake. The first picture shows the head of the brake arm pivot pin in the slot on the swing arm. The second picture shows the axel spacer inside the brake drum. The arm that holds the brake band and operating lever is attached to the spacer. The last pictures are of the brake band anchor and lever pivot bracket. The pin in the swing arm goes through this.

Attachments