Glad to blow a hole in the case.

Thepaetsguy

The crank is much much stronger then the rod and a lot of that could be transferred from the rod itself. be carful and find some muriatic acid. might shine up like a mirror. others say they have awesome success on all kinds of different cranks.

Crank is junk. Markings on rod beam have Briggs marking. She's a stocker but she sure ain't a rocker. You can put an epoxy on engine and glue a metal patch over the new crankcase vent or make a bolted patch to cover the hole. I'd scrap it and keep it as a man cave decoration and build another motor. Not like it's a rare or special block either way. Why run the risk of crank centers or cam journal centerline knocked off axis by previous damage.
. You pointed out some issues I’d hate to deal with. I think you’re right: junk it. I was starting to add up the cost of parts!

Does the wear on the crank where rod attaches look excessive? View attachment 303891 View attachment 303892 View attachment 303892
Honestly, the crank journal looks pretty worn and scratched up. Would have to look up the spec on what it should measure at then take a micrometer to it to see if it could be saved with wet/dry sand paper but it looks like it's too far gone just from the picture. May be time to hunt down a $50 marketplace special.

Crank is junk. Markings on rod beam have Briggs marking. She's a stocker but she sure ain't a rocker. You can put an epoxy on engine and glue a metal patch over the new crankcase vent or make a bolted patch to cover the hole. I'd scrap it and keep it as a man cave decoration and build another motor. Not like it's a rare or special block either way. Why run the risk of crank centers or cam journal centerline knocked off axis by previous damage.
Decor it will become! Actually inside parts are pretty cool looking.

Augiedoggie

Flathead definitely has the cool factor but if you just want a runner to ride for shits and giggles just slap a predator ghost on there and you'll be smiling like happy hour at the whorehouse

Mr. Pink