Go Kart Drum Brakes

The reason I ask is the kart I'm working on appears to have a backing plate for a 4.5" drum brake on the drive wheel. There are no internal components and the kart had some obviously-added scrub brakes installed. So many parts appear to be later modifications on this kart that it is hard to figure out what was original. I'm going to install a drum brake on it and see how it works out. It was built in the late 1950s

Attachments

Harquebus

I'm not sure what I am looking at in the photo, but it looks unique.

Are you saying you are going to add an internal drum brake (or the parts needed) OR use a typical drum and band brake setup? The latter IS a drum brake, but it is an external shoes type.

That sprocket is in great shape however; just needs a little polishing to make it optimal for adding a chain.

Internal shoes to the current setup. The sprocket and drum are welded to the rim so it I will be adapting the internal shoes to fit what is there already. Just wondering how well a drum (shoe type) brake will work.

I've never been impressed with ANY mini-bike drum brakes I've experienced- not sure how they would work on a Go-Kart, however I cannot imagine them being much better. Drum brakes just kind of slow you down- they do not really stop you. The worst of the worst are the Azusa Engineering drum brake kits (still sold today) so I would advise you to steer clear of those. If you are still wanting to try a drum brake set up, look for one of the Bendix kits like were used on the Bonanza bikes as they seem to be at least 1/2 way decent.
Michael

I have one on the back of one of my mini's, not the best braking but It is limited in travel by the hand lever I am using (less of a problem with a foot operated brake). I believe with enough leverage it would be a workable brake. I have not seen Bendix brakes for a 4.5" drum.

Last edited:

Harquebus

Oh, well then you know all about internal brake drums. ;^)
You're right, you might be able to make it more effective if it's foot operated. Legs are stronger than fingers ofc.

I've never been impressed with ANY mini-bike drum brakes I've experienced- ...l
Oh they do the same thing on vintage dirt bikes, just slows you down a bit, but who needs to stop when going fast is all that really matters? :D
Zooooooom!

You might find parts at Honda dealers. Some of the Mini Trail bikes had different size drums. That center piece that pushes on the shoes, where the actuating lever is mounted, might be best found at a motorcycle dealer's parts counter