Harbor Frieght Hydraulic Bender

I have the 12 ton one and remember it is a pipe bender and it does that well. Mini bike frames are usually made from steel tubing either 7/8 .093 wall or 1" tube. Pipe diameters are measured ID and tube OD. The dies fit pipe well but are loose on tube. I have filled tube with sand to bend it and while I was able to get bends without a big kink, they bends still were crappy with wrinkling of the steel on the ID. I would up buying a tube bender and it works perfectly, just very expensive.

I have three types of benders at home, started out cheap and had to by more expensive as I went along.

The hydraulic bender you have listed (the kinker ) can be an awsome tool to have, I have the 16T. We tend to call this a farm style bender. Easy to use portable can bend from small diameter to large, but what it bends aint alway pretty. But good enough for a farm gate no ones going to see.
Disadvantages - Kinks the Pipes - you can sand pack to help
- bends are'nt pretty
- can only do 90° bends

Next Is the cheap bender kit for smaller pipes/tubes and thinner wall thickness.
Tube Bending Machine | eBay
I have built a mini with this, but you need an extra long pipe to give you leverage when bending the 1.5 foot bar in the kit is way to small.
The bends it makes are good and you can go more than 180° .
This is a good cheap in betweener
Disadvantages - bender is cheep and quality is not so hot
- the radii it can bend are rather large
- It rolls the pipe around the die and and does not draw.

Then next is where the big bucks come in, but the results accuracy and repeatability are 100% The are almost no negatives to mention save the price.
Read this thread before you commit
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/shop-tools/81083-j-d-bender-die-question.html

good luck

Here are plans to a J-D compatible bender. I have not built it myself, so I cannot vouch for it, but don't see why there would be an issue with it. The only downside is that you don't get the nice angle gauge like, perhaps it can be fab'd to add the J-D angle gauge to it.

bender

Paul

I get my tubing from the local metal suppliers. Steel tube is cheap (welded) the DOM is more and chrome moly is expensive and you have to tig it. Can't braze chrome moly as the brass/bronze will penetrate the structure of the chrome moly and cause cracks when it cools. Microscopic but will cause failure down the line. (from one of my welding books) Mild steel is fine for mini frames. I have to order 7/8th as for some reason they do not stock it.

The secret to nice bends is a mandrel.. :mellow: I setup and ran rotary draw benders for years.. I've done some pretty incredible stuff with benders.. I mean tipple ball mandrel wiper dies 2 inch tube .065 wall on a 2 inch radius..

and old junk dies on worn out machines.. :doah:

I would stay away from expensive hydraulic powered (press benders) that presses the tube into a kink.. They ALWAYS make shit looking bends.. (exhaust pipes from a muffler shop) They are not (benders) they are (kinkers)

I would recommend an Armstrong powered machine.. You can buy the simple die with a handle and you bend it with arm power.. Thats cheap, and basically the idea you are looking for.. If you could rig up a mandrel rod, and mandrel, that fits your radius and tube I/D... that is attached to your handle, so the bending area of tube, and mandrel stay aligned..

I don't see why you couldn't make nice looking bends by hand.. :shrug:

Like this....

THIS is a rotary draw bender.. DAMN NICE one for home made.. Obviously a Telledyne Pines MACHINE made for mass production, everything is hydrauclicly driven.. You wouldn't have to (assemble) it each time.. but this shows how it works...

pressure die presses the tube tight to the radius.. The radius rotates and (draws) the tube onto the radius.. the follow block rolls along the back side of the radius.. The mandrel in the middle keeps the tube round..

homemade tube bender mandrel bending 304ss - YouTube

rmm727

Next Is the cheap bender kit for smaller pipes/tubes and thinner wall thickness.
Tube Bending Machine | eBay
I have built a mini with this, but you need an extra long pipe to give you leverage when bending the 1.5 foot bar in the kit is way to small.
The bends it makes are good and you can go more than 180° .
This is a good cheap in betweener
Disadvantages - bender is cheep and quality is not so hot
- the radii it can bend are rather large
- It rolls the pipe around the die and and does not draw.

I had one of those. It is shit. Mine ending up bending and I sent it back for a refund. I have a JD2 Model32 now.

For 7/8" tube you can use a 2" radius conduit bender and muscle. Google smartkartparts/freeminibikeplans there are plans for a nice traditional looking frame there. For a few dollars more, you really can't go wrong with a JD2 model 3 ($295.00). I just added an air over hydraulic ram to mine yesterday for $130. Works great. I will post pics later, gotta go to the motorcycle show... Hope this helps.

Last edited: