Has anyone reproduced the Lil Indian brake caliper?

JBible

I have been reading all sorts of threads on this brake set up. I have seen them selling for $175 from some members here. Has anyone actually though of reproducing these? Did anyone get as far as talking to a machinest to see what the cost would be? :shrug:

Fat Boy

I wonder if anyone has kept track of how many people have asked that question ?? Has to be in the hundreds :laugh:

But at 60.00 to 100.00 per hour at a machine shop , I dont think you could make one in two hours :shrug: just my thoughts :confused: :thumbsup:

JBible

I wonder if anyone has kept track of how many people have asked that question ?? Has to be in the hundreds :laugh:

But at 60.00 to 100.00 per hour at a machine shop , I dont think you could make one in two hours :shrug: just my thoughts :confused: :thumbsup:
Hi Fat Boy, I'm sure you are correct that the question of is there an aftermarket brake or has someone reproduced it has been asked. I have read through probably 50 threads on Lil Indian brake on this forum. I haven't yet come across someone actually saying they took one to a machine shop and found it wold cost X dollars to make.
Maybe there isn't a real desire for an exact repo of this brake but I have to say I'm damn disappointed in what I have found on this subject. My Lil Indian that I purchased to steel its wheels for my Bonanza project had a busted brake. My son practically begged me to rebuild this bike for him. I paid $60 for the bike. $99 for a new 2.5 hp motor. $19 for paint. $36 for new tires and tubes. $35 for sand blasting the frame. $37 for new throttle and brake lever and cables. $16 for new chain, and $27 for a new clutch. I will probably be into this another $30 for fenders.
I sure as hell won't pay $180 for a brake. Now maybe there is a good alternative to this brake out there. The threads on here don't indicate it. Everyone says get an original, make a scrub brake, or something like that and I have read every post back to 2010 on this topic. If you have more information I'm all ears. :thumbsup:

Fat Boy

I also need one and have been lurking through the posts and have not seen anything that tells what other caliper would be close to original or modified to work :shrug:

Bikerscum

If you don't have to have original, one of these will probably work... OldMiniBikes brakes

The center to center distance on the mount is a little different so you'll have to slot the holes in the mount.

I've seen lots of Lil Indians with aftermarket brakes.

Last edited:

JBible

Hi Glenn, The main shaft that holds the actuator lever on was sheered off at the base. I drilled it out and went to solder in a new one with Alumi-weld low temp alloy. Of course it just started to melt everything. The back plate also is missing a large piece of the lip that holds the brake pad in place.

I was reading another post this morning on a Lil Indian build and the owner says he bought a repo caliper. I am waiting to see where he got it and how much it was. Fat Boy I will let you know when I find out.

Thanks for the links Bikerscum. I ordered the top brake from OldMiniBikes as the mounting holes are not to far off from the original and the mounting bracket has larger holes than are needed on my bike. I can now say. It will not work on a Lil Indian. The original brake is 1 in. thick. The newer brakes are far to thick for the back plate to fit between the tire and the sprocket. I could make wider spacers for the sprocket but the tire would be way offset and not centered. The top of the caliper is also way thicker than the original. everything would have to move over and the tire would be rubbing the right side of the frame.
I would be interested in the brake setup on the Picasa website you included. I don't have to have an Original. I just want one that works.

Bikerscum

The bike in that link is/was owned by OldMiniBikes user MiniBikeTodd, you might PM him & ask where he got the caliper.

Good luck.

:scooter:

JBible

Yeah, it didn't take long for that to get expensive.
I'm sure I'm just a cheap skate but I don't want to spend 1/3 of my budget for 1 piece of the bike. I just hope Glenn takes pity on me if he has the front piece or I may have shot myself in the foot by buying the NOS rear plate.

Bikerscum

Bikerscum, I don't drink. I would be wasted in half an hour and no one likes me well enough to save me anyways:drinkup:. I'm glad it worked for you though. Thats some out of the box thinking.
The beauty of my method is that if you find one you're happy, if you don't you're..... happy.