Heald VT-8 top engine support bracket.

Sprocket86

Would anyone have a Heald that uses the top engine mount support that wouldn't mind taking a few up close photos.

I really like this design update on the later Healds. I found a 3 inch section of my engine mounting plate on the left front corner with a cracked weld :(

I feel this added upper engine mount support will really help with the back in fourth oscillations that the big Tec HM engines produce that probably cracked the weld.

I would like to make a copy of this brace so this doesn't happen again.

Sprocket86

fix on the bottom. the rear tire mount is adjustable. think my cousin making new adjusters? maybe he will chem in on this posting.
Sometimes the engine needs to be shifted slightly to make room for chain stretch etc. The rear wheel adjustment is a much better way of maintaining chain tension.

delray

Does this black Heald use a 40 series torque converter? The engine appears to be shifted to the right more then my VT-8 with the 30 series converter.
not sure on that. photos are taken when i go riding with bunch guys that have super bronc's and that is one of the mod's i want to do to my bike. actually, it's a must to do on these bikes or it feels like the motor coming unglued. also, I am modifying my torque converter cover, so it takes a 40 series. this way i never have to worry about belts going. i been riding other guys bikes couple of times and there just some things i really don't like on them and need to be up graded. building a disc brake off the back of my jackshaft, drum setups work ok, but that's about it. i got a 10hp lighted coil with sleeve, so that motor will be trick out little inside with a billet rod without the governor and a flat side carb. stock carb setup response is not the best. at the end of the day the bike will look stock with a few tricks done to it. thumb1.PNG
13.jpg

not sure on that. photos are taken when i go riding with bunch guys that have super bronc's and that is one of the mod's i want to do to my bike. actually, it's a must to do on these bikes or it feels like the motor coming unglued. also, I am modifying my torque converter cover, so it takes a 40 series. this way i never have to worry about belts going. i been riding other guys bikes couple of times and there just some things i really don't like on them and need to be up graded. building a disc brake off the back of my jackshaft, drum setups work ok, but that's about it. i got a 10hp lighted coil with sleeve, so that motor will be trick out little inside with a billet rod without the governor and a flat side carb. stock carb setup response is not the best. at the end of the day the bike will look stock with a few tricks done to it. View attachment 298840
View attachment 298841
Looks like quite the gathering of Broncs!

I honestly feel the same as yourself in that every Bronc needs an upper engine mount. I’m anxious to see how this helps.

I found out the other day that the torque converter band brake uses a pin hold down strap to stop the sudden brake lock up. Many Broncs are missing this small but important part.

I didn’t know you could get a billet rod for the big Tecumseh HM engines.

delray

I honestly feel the same as yourself in that every Bronc needs an upper engine mount. I’m anxious to see how this helps.

I found out the other day that the torque converter band brake uses a pin hold down strap to stop the sudden brake lock up. Many Broncs are missing this small but important part.

yes, just the 10hp. the 8hp has a different size rod journal.

delray

this one got the pin and neat brake light setup.
17.jpg

I fabricated and installed my own brake pivot pin retainer for my 1974 VT-8 (similar to delray's photo) and the difference was quite impressive. Before, the rear wheel would lock up very suddenly with just the slightest pull on the brake lever. You could not really control the braking w/o great effort, it was either all or none.
Michael

I fabricated and installed my own brake pivot pin retainer for my 1974 VT-8 (similar to delray's photo) and the difference was quite impressive. Before, the rear wheel would lock up very suddenly with just the slightest pull on the brake lever. You could not really control the braking w/o great effort, it was either all or none.
Michael

Got any pics of your brake fix Michael? I have the same problem and need to fab an anchor for mine as well. Delray sent me brake fix pics of the Broncs he rides with in the first picture he shared. And I had had an idea in my head for sometime before Delray and I discussedit. Always looking for a simple but effective result. Now I just need to get busy and make up what I need.