Heald VT8 bad brake locks up and binds

I used the search feature and could not narrow the issue down, my cable comes through front to rear and I believe it probably should load and pull from the rear of the jackshaft plate. I had no indication by how it came given it was in a box of parts. Logic tells me it's grabbing at the cinch because of the direction of rotation and binding because it is pulling the band with it. Regardless of whether I get a definitive answer I will reverse the direction of pull tomorrow, the brake does not slow the bike at all but rather locks up the wheel late after pulling the lever by a second or two. I got it running excellent and the potential buyer backed out because the bike was bigger than he expected and was a handful for the dad to ride so he figured the 13yo boy would not be able to ride it. So he bought my second to last DB with a 3.5hp briggs, he got a fair deal considering how well put together it was. I'm glad to keep the SB now that it's running, once the brake is sorted out it will be my regular ride especially in our field next door.:thumbsup:

My Son helped me swap the cable so it pulls back now and will work fine, I remembered that all my band brake bikes have loaded from the back and worked fine. I got this bike running good and it rides like a dream, going to keep it for a while and get a tire and build a longer kickstand so the much taller rear tire that's like new can be matched for more ground clearance should I ever get farther than the field out my gate and around the stand of trees. Might put a small log or concrete chunk dumped out there across the trail and traverse the things, maybe ford a mud puddle or two after the rain. Yep.