Help clutch broke at the pulley (gearing???) jackshafts

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI EVERYONE I GOT ANOTHER PROBLEM MY CLUTCH IS SHOT!!!!

All i have is another clutch that is 10t chain drive, well the only other gears i have for my jackshaft would be 12t in 12t out, 60t final axle.

well that didnt works so well gearing must be way to high the clutch always works its way off the crankshaft, i tried everything even a bolt inside the clutch with a tight fight custom washer, it still pulls off, dont help that the engine is an extremely short shaft like 1 1/2 in, but still what gear should i use so that i can get some torque and speed both, plan on using 1 of the 12t on the jackshaft out but what size should i use for the jackshaft in?????

i dont see why i f the jackshaft has the same sprocket on both sides my final gear ration would be 6:1 with my current setup right, how come the clutch will smoke then when it does want to work,,,,,

im lost isnt 1;6 the area i want to be in im LOST!!!!

Thanks any help would be appreciated again the engine is a briggs 5hp flathead tiller engine, they all are tiller engines i have 5 total

PLEASE HELP!!!!

TomH

Jim Donovan from Maxtorque clutches, Recorded on 7/29/2010 karttrax on USTREAM. Racing

This is a chain clutch video, but the principles are the same. I would guess poor maintenance and old age of the clutch. The video above will help with proper maintenance. Your shaft is too short. If you have another tiller motor with a longer shaft I would put it on there. If the short shaft motor has a hole with threads, you might try to thread a bolt and a washer with locktite to "rig it". If your drive train is still stock from the factory, I would stay with that until you get a better clutch/ motor set up

You can try going with a smaller sprocket driving the wheel.. The clutch falling off is the bolt not being tight enough.. With those belt clutches there is a monster of a center hub.. If you get that bolt tight enough, it shouldn't come off, short shaft or not.. :thumbsup: You MIGHT want a bushing or stack of washers or whatever, AS IF the missing crank WERE THERE.. just to help sandwich the clutch down to the crank end a little..

But it should stay on with that bolt in through the end of the crank..

belt clutch is shot

:censure:belt clutch actually broke it seperared right where the pulley meets the drum im tempted just to weld the :censure: i dont have many options with my gear clutch its a 10 tooth, my jackshaft in is 12 tooth 12 tooth out link to final drive which is 60 tooth but it seems to be geared way to low

IS IT?????

the kart has no take off with this setup but does get up to speed:scooter:

please help what gear should i get for the jackshaft in, i want both torque and speed im running a stock 5 hp briggs flathead at the moment (governed to the top end)

PLEASE HELP JUST LOOKING FOR ADVICE NOT A BUNCH OF FORWARDS
GEAR SUGGESTIONS PLEASE@@@@

PICTURES ARE OFF BELT SETUP BEFORE THE PULLEY BROKE AT THE DRUM DRUM AND PULLEY ARE SEPERATED NO LONGER 2 PEICE DRUM ENGAGES BUT PULLEY WONT SPIN BELT SINCE ITS TOTALLY FREE FROM CLUTCH

ok going with the setup it has now what size is the jack shaft pulley ? do you know what the ratio on the belt drive is ? if you can figure it out you could match them in chain to the other clutch .

on the clutch coming off even with a bolt in there im not getting how that is happening . with the washer fitting over the end of the clutch hub and bolted to the crank it should not come off .
also you said it split where the pulley meets the drum , did the snap ring in there fail ? that would let the pulley float free from the drum and stop everything from working .
i have the same kind of clutch if you look here http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/46488-max-torque-clutch-install-oiling.html
mine is brazed in place , you could maybe spot it back or you may have the snap ring :shrug:

oldfatguy

you would probably be better off with a chain drive clutch. That belt is going to slip and smoke. You do need a smaller gear on the end of the jack shaft connected to the wheel. Use that gear on the clutch side and buy the smallest gear you can get for the wheel side.

Yeah those belt clutches aren't meant for vehicles.. You can slip them easily on a small minibike.. If it's broke then I'd just replace the whole deal.. If you have the money, a torque convertor driver clutch should work on that crank, and will eliminate your gearing issues..

Or the older North American Clutch CO clutches had a hell of a hub in them, and will work too.. But they are all 35 chain as far as I've seen..

chain

i have 1 last question i have many different sizes of change what reason i dont know, still dont know where it came from anyways,

i have 35 change which is way to small its like a damn bike chain,
otherwise i have 40/41 and 420 i dont get what the whole difference is between the 40/41 and the 420 other then everything seems to be tight,
i do have a larger sprocket for the jackshaft in but its bored 1/2 or 5/8 im thinking of boring it somehow with a dremel or die grinder to get it to work,

weld it back together. gear it down some and quit whining :laugh: your kart probrobly was designed for a smaller diameter tire and a skinnier rider. I would also take others suggestions and use one of your other engines with a longer shaft. If you have a compression guage you can check them all for the best one and maby youll even have a bit more power. or just sell a couple engines and buy a torque converter