Help ID this bike please.

Hi, this is my first post here. I bought this frame, and I want to rebuild it, but I don't know what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I know. It's a newer frame, with orange paint that seems to be original. It has a band brake setup on the right-hand side. The seller told me that it was from a 97cc Doodle Bug, but I don't know if that's correct. I haven't seen any Doodlle Bugs with a band brake.

Please take a look and let me know what you think...

Don't matter which version it is, that is a DB no matter what
How can you tell?

And where can I find parts? Specifically, the parts for the rear wheel/hub. I'm having a hard time finding a wheel/hub setup for the sprocket on one side and a band brake on the other side.

That is not a DB frame if you compair the 2 you can see the differences, better pics would help but I'm thinking its an Azuza
His

My early DB

Last edited:
That is not a DB frame if you compair the 2 you can see the differences...
That's what I've been thinking. There are obvious differences... mine has none of the following that the db has... grab handle, kickstand, chain tensioner, disc brake, angled forks.

And get this, I e-mailed Baja with the pic and they said, yes it's theirs, but no they never made one with a band brake. So what does that mean? And they sent me a parts list for the frame like you have, which is obviously different.

So I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it. Azuza you think, huh? Any Azuza pics that I can compare it to?

You might be on to something with Azusa. It seems to be the right shape, and I've been looking at some pics and noticed a feature that they share with mine. A lot of Azusa frames have a bar with female threaded ends to mount foot pegs that screw in. My frame has this also. Still not sure though. Open to more discussion.

Better pics

I took some better pics of areas that look unique to me. Hopefully they can help in identifying this frame.

Front fork ends...

Mounting bar for foot pegs...

Rear brake mount...

Thoughts?

Not a DB but it does look like it at first glance, it's a damn nice foundation for a sweet ride though! I have seen nothing exactly like it but it was built for the long haul without a doubt. I'd love to have it whatever it is!:thumbsup:

Not a DB but it does look like it at first glance, it's a damn nice foundation for a sweet ride though! I have seen nothing exactly like it but it was built for the long haul without a doubt. I'd love to have it whatever it is!:thumbsup:
Thanks. I guess I did pretty good for $25.

It looks pretty similar to some Azusas that I've seen, but still nothing exact.

It is close to the db but obvious differences are like you said, the grab handle, and also brake mounts are different and the db foot pegs are welded on not screwed, there is no chain tensioner mount on this bike, and No kickstand or kickstand mount. So i would say its not a db at all unless there is a foreign version or something that i dont know about

Could be a early DB prototype.
The engine plate sure looks like a DB bit that's where the similarities end IMO. I'm not sure but maybe made by the same manufacturer as Murray, they are chinese made but the quality is far better than DBs. The reason I even said Murray is the brake setup, very much like the murrays brake. I would love to have it like I said, it's a well built frame and it would take very little to get it up and running. I have everything to get it going in the shed where I hoard my minibike stuff LOL!:thumbsup: