help identifying minibike

Like the title says I would like to identify this minibike. I have looked at all the pictures on minidoodle and didn't see any like this one. I bought it a few years ago at a swap meet with a 3.5hp Briggs on it. I don't know what is stock or what has been modified because it had been redone several times when I bought it (it had about 10 different coats of paint on it). There are no markings on the frame.

Its a MTD With a Differant Motor mount plate , added scrub brake, differant handlebars, differant rear wheel, B&S instead of a TEC, its missing the convertor clutches and the jackshaft support.

Looks cool to me though.
Heres mine with a missing Correct front clutch.

Last edited:

delray

i can id the motor:clap: its a mopar:thumbsup:

someone went threw alot of work to make it look like that.
mtd and columbia minibikes are one of the harder bikes to modifly. so other type of parts and engine can work on them:hack::grind::hammer::weld:
:scooter:................

does anyone know what kind of brake came on it from the factory? The scrub brake works pretty well but it is a little sloppy and i would like something a little better if possible.

the mopar 340 in the background is going in my dads 68 Dart GTS. there is a 6-71 supercharger for it just above the picture:devil2:

Last edited:

delray

68 dart's are cool looking body:thumbsup:and 69 too:thumbsup:

the original brake set-up on your bike was a ban brake.

maybe this will help little:thumbsup:

New guy here. Pics caught my eye because I'm pretty sure its what I have too. My Dad bought it new I think from Sears. The engine and clutch look a little different than that MTD though. Mine is a 3.5 Tecumseh. The exhaust port is out the back next to the intake port like a B&S. The two little L brackets on the fender were there to support the exhaust pipe that extended under the seat. There is suppose to be a gas tank in front of the seat. Mine was also originally metalic green too. The variable pitch pulley on mine looks different though. Either mine is a different model, or the engine and pulley have been changed or different year.

Incidently, I need another clutch if I can find one that looks like the original. My Dad passed away before we could finish restoring and I'd like to keep it as orginal looking as possible.

Last edited:

delray

FrankR,mtd's that came hard tail(no rear springs)all had 3.5 tecumseh engines on them and also came with painted fenders and smaller tires(3.50-6). the mtds with rear springs had 4hp tecumsehs and little larger tires(4.00-6) and chrome fenders and chrome sissey bar. i have a columbia minibike made by mtd (same bike),4hp model. company that made the torque converter v-plex is gone. but you can modifly it to fit a 20 ser's comet unit with a rear 6inch pulley. a 6inch pulley will fit under the cover. 7inch will not fit. you might have to modifly the the brackets little on the front that bolt to the engine and hold the cover on or make new ones. the clutch unit is just little bigger then the original unit. but it works:thumbsup:

little more info to look at:thumbsup:
MTD-COLUMBIA INFO

Thanks delray. The only difference I read though is that mine does have chrome fenders since new. Do you happen to have a picture of what the original side cover looked like? Color and any decals? I have the cover and I think it might have been white from what I remember but its too rusted to tell.

delray

ok FrankR,the newer model did come option with chrome fenders with the 3.5motor and 3.50-6
newer model also has a different tank. it is little more rounded and also the seat is little different and side cover. the older side cover is more flater then newer unit. the columbia minibikes say rambler and the mtd's say trail flite.

PatrickCraik

Rambler

I just bought the twin to the green one. I thought mine has the wrong frt.tire but can see it supposed to be smaller that the rear. I'm replacing it with a match for the rear,I like the look of the taller tires

Pat

Last edited:

PatrickCraik

Here's Mine...

Looks exactly like the one above. I thought it was kinda ugly but its a blast to ride. It looks like it will clean up pretty good.I'm going to check the date code on the tires just for kicks.They look original.

Pat