Help New db 30 wont idle.

Just put together new db30 and the motor wont idle and stalls coming off throttle. Tried adjusting idle screw and running at part choke, but still stalls and has no power. Help!

Thanks. We checked the plug..It was pretty black and sooty, but the gap was ok. We also drained and removed the float bowl to see if any trash was in there, but nothing. I guess we will take the carb off an clean it and try again.

Its not the idle screw you need to adjust. Its the fuel/air mixture screw you need to adjust. Mine wiggled itself out of its setting and would keep dying. I put a VERY TINY AMOUNT of loctite on it to keep it from backing out. Now the engine works fine.

Adjust that screw THEN the idle screw to compensate for new rpms.

tighten the idle screw all the way in and then turn it one full turn and start the bike and then if it dosent idle right got 1 1/2 if that dosent work try 2 turns and just keep doing that until you find were it neds to be

cxbra

tighten the idle screw all the way in and then turn it one full turn and start the bike and then if it dosent idle right got 1 1/2 if that dosent work try 2 turns and just keep doing that until you find were it neds to be
You keep saying the "idle" screw, but he needs to adjust the AIR MIXTURE screw.

1. Idle screw - black plastic "screw" on top of the carb.

2. Air/Fuel Mixture screw - tiny brass screw in the middle height of the carb (with a spring on it).

I had the same problem. I had to turn the brass Air Mixture screw all the way IN, then give it about 2 complete turns OUT. Try to start the bike, no luck?? Continue to turn it OUT 1/4 turns then re-fire it. You dont wanna overdue this process or you will be repeating it over and over again. Also, is the bike brand new? How long have you had it?

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the advice. We have the bike stashed at my brother-in-laws house untill christmas, but I don't remember an air/fuel mixture screw in the middle of the carb. My dad is helping and he has alot of expierence with this sort of thing and he seems to remember a plug. In other words the screw is sealed. Does anyone know if the plug can be removed to access the screw? Also we did pull the main jet and was gummed up. After cleaning that it ran a little better, but still stalls coming off throttle. By the way I'm in Jacksonville, Fl. and from what I've seen the sold the crap out of these mini bikes so maybe we'll see alot more people from Fl on the site.

Thanks for all the advice. We have the bike stashed at my brother-in-laws house untill christmas, but I don't remember an air/fuel mixture screw in the middle of the carb. My dad is helping and he has alot of expierence with this sort of thing and he seems to remember a plug. In other words the screw is sealed. Does anyone know if the plug can be removed to access the screw? Also we did pull the main jet and was gummed up. After cleaning that it ran a little better, but still stalls coming off throttle. By the way I'm in Jacksonville, Fl. and from what I've seen the sold the crap out of these mini bikes so maybe we'll see alot more people from Fl on the site.
The screw is not sealed, it just may look that way underneath the black square cap it sits under.

Just gently pull that cap off...

Thanks again.

I was looking at some pictures of the replacement carbs other people were talking about and did see the air/fuel screw with black plastic cap. I'll give that a try and report back.

Reporting back...... The bug still won't idle properly. I've adjusted the idle screw to the point where it wants to engage the clutch and that just doesn't seem to be right. I have to run it at about 3/4 choke and my son has to keep on the gas while braking to keep the engine running. Also after looking at my carb it really doesn't appear to have a fuel/air mixture screw. The serial number on the top is P15A-1HH59. The only thing that looks like it could be an ajustment is a black plastic plug on top of the carb body right under the idle screw. But it looks like that needs to be removed...see earlier post....I'm going to load some pics. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

My problems are not that bad but I too am looking for the mysterious air/fuel screw. I do not see it?? I have the little plastic plug that sits under the idle screw, and its got double o-rings but thats it...no screw on the inside. That plastic plug is just a banjo bolt?? I'm confused, maybe they just recently changed the carb set-up

The newer carburetors do not have any adjustment. They are junk.. SOME of them will have a replaceable idle jet. Screw it out, screw in the next biggest or smallest.. but to just adjust one is about impossible.. They are always making stuff cheaper and junkier by the day.. They idiot proof stuff so you can't UN-adjust the carb I guess. It's made to run one specific way for life, so as soon as ANYTHING is different in the motor, the carb is now OUT of adjustment forever. You can buy different jets for them but I would take it off and replace it with one of the old 80's on down carbs with TWO fuel screws.. ONLY WAY TO GO!!!! If you watch Evilbay, you can usually get one guaranteed to run good for like 30-40 bucks mailed to the door.. I sell a BUTT LOAD of them because they ALWAYS sell good and people need them.. I'd just take YOUR carb off and say it is useless EXCEPT for the fact that you can still use the float and bowl and gasket and throttle shaft as parts to rebuild an old rusted solid junk 40 year old carb that is ACTUALLY A GREAT carb..... when they work... :hammer:

Dang, I literaly took the carb off yesterday looking for an adjustment...that explains it. Man, i appreciate the help and I'm sure jaxbug feels the same. Did you read my post about the GC 135?

Shewww I don't know about that one. That's a pretty small hole for a Tilly... I have a DAMN NICE one I picked out of the junkyard that is 5 horse size... I would just recommend a regular Tecumseh adjustable carb. They run just as good and will plug and play. If you go winding those Tecumsehs out they will blow up if they don't have after market racing parts in them..

OH HELL I am retarded.. Yeah Mikuni and MIC and those guys build very small float bowl slider carbs... Only problem with those type carbs is they only have a IDLE fuel adjustment. To dial in your high speed you have to buy a but loat of different jets, then see what works best.. But still.. if you DID get it perfect and it screams... You run it wide open too long it's going to explode...

Well I did find the mixture screw...It's located under a black plastic plug on the right side (as you ride) of the carb. We removed the plug and just as Restorekid said....no adjustment. The screw in needle is designed to be changed out, not adjusted, and its in there very loose....So where can i get a replacement and can I use some loctite to hold it in? Also funny story....after removing the carb to clean I lost the float hinge pin and had to cut a 5/64 drill bit shank to fit.....nothin like a little home grown engineering....Ha..Ha.

Yupp... I've been through a few of them.. HAHA!! Hell, if it is really loose, screw it in tight.. It may just be flooding like a bitch because the opening is too big in there from the screw being backed out... :thumbsup: Or junk the bastard.. :hammer: I pull the bowl, float, needle, gasket and choke (if applicable) , throttle workings out of them for parts, but the bodies are just about :censure: or = it's value in scrap aluminum... :hammer: