Help sears roper brake rebuild

I started a new thread because this is for the brake system. I’m doing this for my Grandson and I want it SAFE! I would like to get my parts ordered and sandblasting done by July 4th. My questions are>>>>
Was there a rubber pad that goes onto the foot brake that hits the tire?
Was the foot Brake just held on by a washer and a weld???
/ropbrk2.jpg']
[/url] Was there a Y spring that held the pad level? (this kid used wire)
Is a rubber pad available that goes onto the brake lever itself?

PLEASE see my pictures and tell me what’s wrong and where to get parts.
BIG THANKS! Capnz

Was there a rubber pad that goes onto the foot brake that hits the tire?

No, just the alum scrub brake.

Was the foot Brake just held on by a washer and a weld???

Yes.

Was there a Y spring that held the pad level?

No, there should be a little bracket welded to the frame by the engine plate to keep it from coming 'up' past level.

Is a rubber pad available that goes onto the brake lever itself?

Sorta, you can get a 5/8? or whatever size the stock is, rubber or plastic grip.
This is on a Bird I fixed up but it's pretty much the same.

Heres a Golden Pinto. Same idea.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/2318/medium/Clutch_Guard1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guy, NICE! Did you make the chain guard? Looks like you used 2 springs. If you look again at mine the kid had wired the top. Why did he do this?

"Why did he do this?"
Because if he didn't the brake pad is free to pivot and the top will jam into the tire tread (especially if it is "knobby" or "studded" tire) and immediately lock up the rear wheel.:scared: There are much better ways to hold the brake pad (top) back like installing a small return spring.
Michael

WOW TOM!!!!! Awsome! I have a Tecumseh engine that was on there when I bought the bike. SO,,,, can I eliminate that scrubber Brake? I think this will work better for my grandson. BRAKE LEFT THROTTLE RIGHT. WHAT ABOUT A CHAIN GUARD. AS SOON AS YOU GET BACK I'LL GO ORDER IT. BIG THANKS

Thanks,,, do I leave the old brake & lever on???? My ATV has both. This will save me money because it's at the machine shop now. I can tell him to grind the weld off the washer and pull off the footbrake.

I ordered the BAND BRAKE kit. I have to know because the base is going to sandblasting.
"DO I KEEP THE FOOT SCRUBER BRAKE LEVER ON THE BASE"???
Thanks Capnz

markus

I ordered the BAND BRAKE kit. I have to know because the base is going to sandblasting.
"DO I KEEP THE FOOT SCRUBER BRAKE LEVER ON THE BASE"???
Thanks Capnz

I would. I would install the band brake and install the metal scrub brake in the link from a previous posting (It works for me). Reason, If the chain pops off or breaks off, no brakes!!! The scrub is the backup plan. The metal pad works better than the orginal aluminum ones anyway (unless you maybe find a nearly new one somehwere). The clutch brakes are great, but its nice to have a backup.

I used both on the el tigre I built last year:

My Sears Roebuck had the band brake on the 2 speed jackshaft and the srub brake too:

LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT A RUBBER PAD ON THE BRAKE LEVER. WHERE DID YOU GET IT?

Every Man has to believe in something. I believe I'll have another BEER!

Capnz= u lite um we fite um!

markus

The simple square chainguard is the one that comes with the brake band kit that allied leisure sells.

the rubber pad, well.... A great man that recently past (yellowhand) had a supply of them for awhile. I know that Hent did buy alot of his stuff but I have not seen the pads show up on OldMiniBikes warehouse's site so he may have sold out before he past away. there is someone else that sold alot of the same parts that yellowhand had on ebay from time to time as well but I have not seen his listings lately either. They were the only 2 sources that I know of for them.

I might still have one floating around From a Fox made jc penney bike that I cut up into pieces, I'll have to look.