Help with old Alton Wheels?

Hi I'm a new member and just got my first project minibike. Kind of a barn find. I have 6" Alton wheels on it. The old brake setup was the lever with the plate that rubbed on the tire. I would like to change that to an internal expanding brake however I cannot find any info that says what sprocket and brake parts will work for my wheels. Should I just upgrade to the astro or tri-star wheel or are there parts that will work with the alton wheels? Any help is greatly appreciated.

markus

are they like the ones that just sold on ebay recently, sort of a 6 hole bolt parttern? Vintage RARE Alton 6" Mini Bike Wheels Aluminum 1 3 8 Hub Alton Wheels | eBay

figure out the bolt circle dimension (measure the width of the circle center line the bolt holes) Also maybe measure the step OD on the one hub if its there like the one in the photos.

I dont know anything about the Alton's, you may get lucky though and it may be a 3.25" bolt pattern, if so internal drum sprockets and brake parts are pretty available, the ones on ebay looked like they were setup to accept an internal brake sprocket with the stepped hub though.

Last edited:
Thanks Markus I will do the measuring. The ones I have do look like they have the same bolt pattern with three small holes and three bigger holes. However I do not believe the hub is stepped on the back wheel. May have to purchase hardware for that or does the sprocket 72t with the internal machining just mount to the wheel itself?

markus

you will need spacers to set the correct depth. if you look at the set on ebay I would assume original drum would set in that step and they you would need some sleeve spacers from wheel face to back of sprocket/drum.

CarPlayLB

I will be watching this to see what you come up with. I am the ding dong that bought the ones from eBay! Please post pics when you get this sorted out!

CarPlayLB

I was curious, so I ran outside with the calipers. They are a 3.25" bolt circle and the center has a 2" hub. Suppose OldMiniBikes has a drum brake sprocket for this?

Simpletom those are the same wheels I have and that sure looks like the bike I have as well. I wasn't certain what the make or model of my bike was. Sensation you say? Anyhow any insight into my issue at all? I can use any advice as this is my first build.

markus

I will be watching this to see what you come up with. I am the ding dong that bought the ones from eBay! Please post pics when you get this sorted out!
Sucka born every minute :laugh: If I had known the bolt pattern I would have bid on them too though :wink:

If the wheels dont flare down too small (might want to measure that I just noticed the flare in on simple toms pics) you could sink a bendix brake and spocket on there from a 64-67 Rupp continental series, they had a huge center opening, all the others you would need to hog the center of drum out to clear the hub.

4 of the ten thousand holes drilled into the Azusa drum sprockets line up with the that bolt circle dimemsion, and the other 2 appear to be unobstructed on the drum so they could be drilled, the also have a 2" center opening. They are the smaller 4 1/2" brake so you may be able to sink one of those down into the wheel and then use the flat plate steel brake assy they sell as well.

gonna be important to be able to really sink that sprocket in for Chazp the Sensation is a really skinny bike at the back and I dont think there is much room to play with!!!

They are indeed narrow in the back Markus. Do you know what the width of an entire wheel/sprocket/brake combo would be. Maybe it wouldn't work at all IDK. Perhaps it would be easier to use a band brake in the back but I suppose you run into the same difficulties. I'm not a big fan of putting a band brake on the clutch simply because if the chain slips off it's useless. Not a big deal for me, but I'm thinking of my boys, you know?

markus

I measured an Azusa drum/sprocket I have and the OD width of the drum itself you would need at lease 4 11/16" clearance inside the wheel. the overall depth from outside of sprocket to outside of drum is 1 1/2".

that would be this sprocket:

http://www.OldMiniBikes.com/images/P/AZ2218-2.jpg

No I dont know if this brake assy has to stick out past that or not so give yourself a little spacing for it as well, but this would be the the best one to get into a tight spot I would imagine.....and it would Look the part on your mid 60's frame.

http://www.OldMiniBikes.com/images/P/AZ2270S-01.jpg

could always leave the scrub brake on as well as install a band brake, so if there is a chain failure the scrub is there.

I took a quick measure and the wheels are plenty big inside I just hope they are deep enough. I wonder if i could change out the hub or bearings and bolt the sprocket directly to the wheel with spacers if need be. Has anyone ever done that? I will take a pic of the current setup later and post it so everyone following can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited: