Helping out a beginner.

Blade

Hi guys. I am considering in the future to perhaps invest in a mini bike. I will be buying it used, so I can start off easy. I would like to ask some questions:

1. Is there anything important I should know before, or when I'm examining a used mini bike? Care to share some advice?
2. If the bike that I buy does not include any brakes... how hard is it to install brakes from a spare regular bicycle?
3. Could foot pegs be also installed without the need of welding to the frame?

many thanks! :thefinger:

1. don't get one with a butchered frame. if you don't know how to work on them, it's best to get one that's in decent shape and runs.

2. i wouldn't recommend it. you also have to know how to weld (need a caliper mount) if you want to run a disc setup like that. a scrub brake would work, but you have to weld then.

3. you just need to find some bolt-on ones if they even make them.

Blade

Thanks for the reply.

"Butchered frame", as in the frame is not cracked or split in any place? Aww... if no brakes, then I must be extra careful when riding. I don't have any welding experience or equipment. I think it is possible that a bicycle or motorcycle shop might carry foot pegs.

Anyways, if I'll be buying it locally from craigslist, then I will demand a test run. :scooter: And hopefully, it will suffice to take back home.

just look out for cracks, crappy welds where they shouldn't be, extra crap that's been welded on. if it's a CL ad, post a pic before looking at it. people should be able to tell if it's a decent deal or not.

you should be able to find something with brakes. just be patient and don't go buying the first one you see just because you want it now. it can get expensive getting these things going if they need a lot of work. individual parts aren't really expensive, but all the small stuff plus shipping adds up. they do make drum brake setups that basically bolt on but they kind of suck. do a search on here for brakes and you should find some useful information.

i just checked BMI Karts and Supplies - Home and they do have bolt-on pegs for $10 (search "foot pegs"). they're a good company to deal with so i'd just go through them for that.

metty

My two cents.

Try to buy the most complete bike you can find. Otherwise you will be hard pressed to find the correct parts in a timely manner. Example, I just bought a good frame but the rear wheel was shot and the front wheel was the wrong one. So had to buy and was lucky to find it, a parts bike. Wheels were the ones I needed but very rusty and brake drums shot from sitting outside for years. So now have to switch tires on rims which is costly. Seat was wrong and shocks do not fit well so I will have to buy a seat and probably some different shocks. The roller I bought was missing a front shock spring. So went to some spring companys. They would be happy to make me a custom one for 120.00. But got what I needed on the parts bike I found. So every thing that is missing or broke is costly and a major search effort. My project came with a motor thank goodness and seems to run well but won't know until I get it put together and test. I don't have welding equipment either so on another frame I will have to hire some welding. Costly!!!!! If you get into missing torque limiters and special clutches that can be costly also. My advice is to go fnd something that already drives. Drive and enjoy or repaint and personalize it some to suit you. But enjoy it instead of looking at piles of parts in your garage. Metty

gbones

Try to buy the most complete bike you can find.

kind of wish i did that last july.. ive gone thru all the emotions :confused::sadcrying4::thumbsup: mostly:censure::censure::censure: but still would never get ride of it. my 2 cents, if you like it then get it and enjoy it. and last but not least, hopefully it was born in the U.S.A.

you have to ask yourself whether your gonna buy a bike to restore or buy a nice rider?
If your buying one tas a investment then yes try to find one that is a brand name like rupp , bonanza,taco, speedway, HONDA! the sears bikes and mancos really dont hold any value, and its a sad thing if you putt 500 dollars into a sears it wouldnt be worth half that, but you put that money into a honda or bonanza and you have a bike that will hold it value!
If your buying a bike to ride, ask your self if your gonna do more off roading than on road, because shocks come into play. also torq a veters and gears! If building a rider comfort and reliability are first, Like a strong motor and good brakes!!!!