High-Performance GX160 Anyone??

Hey Guys,
This isn't my first mini-chopper project, but on this project I'm making a bike for myself and was looking to do some "high-performance" modifications to get this machine going potentially 50mph??

I've been getting a lot of my information from the Affordable Go Karts (AGK) website in their Performance Basics Section, and I'm wondering if all of this is really necessary to get a chopper to perform well.

I removed the governor, so I understand that some modifications will be necessary to keep the thing from blowing up. But I just wanted to know if anybody could tell me if all of these parts are necessary to get a chopper that goes at least 40mph

• UNI Air Filter
    22mm Mikuni Carburetor
    .265" Lift Camshaft
    18lbs. Valve Springs
    ARC Racing Billet Flywheel
    FlatTop Piston
    ARC Billet Rod
    Torque Converter

A friend of mine who's a purist when it comes to mini-bikes, says that all this junk isn't necessary to get a fast chopper - you just gotta gear it right. Can anybody verify this or agree?

N O T E : I weigh about 170 lbs; I'm using a Honda GX160 Clone; and my chopper will look like the one in the attachments

This one as pictured would do 45MPH with me on it and i weigh 225lbs the back wheel is from a xr80 honda,the briggs engine had the governor removed and its using a tav30 with 41 chain 10 tooth on the conv and 54 tooth on the wheel. Of course i did other mods to the motor as well :shifty:

Last edited:

vwfan79

I agree with the fact that it needs to be geared right but a stock 5.5hp will have a hard time pulling you and you bike to 50mph. I would say pretty all that list except the torque converter.

I agree with the fact that it needs to be geared right but a stock 5.5hp will have a hard time pulling you and you bike to 50mph. I would say pretty all that list except the torque converter.
Why not the torque converter? I realize that a chain and sprocket with a centrifugal clutch will work pretty well, but I feel like if I want a smooth start and great acceleration, then isn't the torque converter the way to go??

vwfan79

I don't have much experience with torque converters but I would think if you are going more the top end the torque converter may limit that with out doing some mods to it.

A torque converter would work good for for your setup. Thats what a variable transmission is all about. It gives you plenty of gear reduction to take off and then shifts up to a gear ratio that will give you a nice topend opposed to riding around in one gear all the time. Them cvt s work great on mildly built projects like urs.