Hilliard Extreme clutch

bruces

I have a few Hilliard clutches on various pieces of equipment ,including my homemade snow dog ,I have had zero issues with them ,and I use the snow dog to haul gravel to my camp in the winter .I would think that running a full snowmobile track ,a 240lb guy ,a 6’sleigh ,and 6 5gallon pails of gravel at a time through snow and ice would be a descent work out for any clutch ,and the Hilliard has been on it now for 3 winters .

Sadly this is my last remaining project for now so I don't have another bike at the moment. I will actually have another Tecumseh 5hp cleaned up shortly that I can check it on but it won't be on a bike.

Touching the side cover? Hmmm......never thought of that. Will check. The multiple times I have had it off I don't recall seeing anything on the case but to be honest I wasn't really looking. Thanks for that thought.

So....I got a Max Torque clutch, installed a small brass spacer I had from another motor and I seem to have better movement. Gonna check the rpms, install the seat and see if its a go. It seems to pull harder on my bench.

Fingers crossed.

So I got more movement. I kinda have to push off to get it going but once the motor is warmed up and the clutch is warm I can get some good clutch engagement and some good speed but not really enough to go to make it up a hill.

I have only built 2 Tecumseh 5hp and I don't know if I am asking too much of it. I am a "big boned" adult....275lbs. Is it too much to ask for the 5 hp to snap me out of the hole or move me up a decent sized hill? The engine sounds fine. I tweaked the carb, the governor and the linkage a bit and I am getting WOT. I don;t know the RPM as when I tried to hook it up I got no reading one way and it shut down when I reversed the leads.

Someone suggested a multi meter to test RPM but I have no idea how to do that.

I do have another 5 hp Tecumseh I am just about done with. Maybe try that motor? The motor seems to run just fine. It idles really well and has some snap when I jab the throttle.

It might be a combination of the extra weight and your final gear ratio with the tall tires.
Hs50 requires mods to turn high RPM which might help your situation.

Sounds like that motor needs to go .010…Hs50 should do wheelies….at your size a torque converter would be better….but that motor should Pull you anywhere

toomanytoys

5hp tecumseh should do pull you no problem. I've had them torque convetor and clutch.

I hate to say I've given up entirely on old engines unless it's on a vintage bike. Predator or other clones is all I'll mess with now. But I still refuse to throw one in a classic bike.