Homemade cylinder gas tank.

The filler neck I used is just some garden hose fittings soldered in place.

To filter fuel I use an old coleman felt filter ( good thing to use because it block dirt and water )....

I am not making any tanks or parts of any kind for anyone at least for the next few months. Not untill I recover from a neck injury and this might take some time.....

Realy its not hard to make these yourself.
Practice and filters are easy to get at a garrage....

You should always try.
If you manage to make something thats great.
If you fail and still learn from it thats ok life is all about learning.
if you aply the skills you learn from something like this to another job, you are ahead of the game too often young people are not taught this kind of hands on stuff in school.

gbabins1

Hey, I hope you heal quickly Oldschool :smile: I also use hose style connectors for the filler and a barbed fitting for the gas line (both brass). I clear coat the outside to prevent surface rust. :grind: I don't coat the inside. I don't believe the metal tanks that come with the stock clone engines are coated inside either.

Well as far as coatings are concerned POR-15 is probably the best product to use.

One more trick for the wood be tank makers.
If you follow the way i did it using external bands file fit the ends so one tucks under the the other at a 45 deg angle.
Next use hose clamps to squeez the bands tight before soldering.
And like a said a 1/4 washer soldered in place makes a good bung for a 1/8 pipe tap.
Oh yes and drill a small hole where you want to put the filler neck.
use a wood screw and some washers to pull the neck in as tight as you can for soldering. then you can use a dremle or hole saw to drill out the hole.

Hey, is there any way one of you soldering geniuses (and I mean that literally, not as a pun) could make a How-too video and put it on youtube? I have never really soldered, but have wanted to learn how, and this looks like a really cool project and one that would develop a really useful skill.

Hey, is there any way one of you soldering geniuses (and I mean that literally, not as a pun) could make a How-too video and put it on youtube? I have never really soldered, but have wanted to learn how, and this looks like a really cool project and one that would develop a really useful skill.
That would be cool :thumbsup:

That would be cool :thumbsup:
Not realy much too it.
You simply have to try and work at.

I do have some sugestions though.
Make sure the steel is clean and sanded.
Your joints must be tight and I prefer the external banding method.

Although it might not produce the perfect clean look some prefer you have more control of the banding.

How too:
Clean all surfaces with soap and water then with sand paper make sure everything is absolutely clean oil free and dry.

Hold fit the external band in place with a large hose clamp.

File the ends of the band so they slightly overlap each other at an angle

Use a quality liquid flux and common lead based solder.

I use a torch but you may get better results from an iron ( but the kind of iron I mean is very large and not that common. I am talking about something with tip 3/4 of an inch wide and rated for 1000 watts ).

Solder is soft and easy to work with, if you make a mess no trouble it can be scrapped off and filed jus tlike body men did in the old days.

nice looking tanks. I need one myself. Haven't decided weather to make one or buy one. I don't have welding equipment so I might have to buy one but I was thinking it would be cool to use a mini hieneken keg.

nice looking tanks. I need one myself. Haven't decided weather to make one or buy one. I don't have welding equipment so I might have to buy one but I was thinking it would be cool to use a mini hieneken keg.
Go to a truck stop.
Tell them you are trying to make a fuel tank out of a pair of oil filters like you have seen done on the internet.

Pick a large pair of 5 inch scrap oil filters out and buy the mehcanics a box of dough nuts for their trouble.

This and a profane torch is all you need.
This isn't rocket science......