homemade go cart

In my 38 + years in the go Kart and mini bike trade/interest I have seen a lot of efforts that were doomed from the start. And the winning prize go to what I see as a front runner. Not to be cruel but get a grip someone is going to get hurt with this contraption.
I remember a guy who came into my shop and spent a whole lot of money buying the best parts to build a mini dune buggy. I never saw the finished kart before his first trip to the Sand Dunes his ride in the dunes lasted 5 minuets, his frame was destroyed , his engine was destroyed and worst of all his dream was destroyed. You don't have a clue of how to make a safe machine.
Again just my opinion not solicited but it must be said.
Steve :scooter:

steve its not like hes going to be going a thousand miles an hour with it. If he does hes going to find out quick that its not designed for it. i never get out of second gear with mine. just because youve got a big engine doesnt mean youve got to max it out all the time

No offense, but that you couldn't pay me to ride in that jalopy, it's a flying metal death trap in it's current state, and I hope you plan to make it safe, I mean...I wouldn't want my legs to be trapped under those steering supports. Yikes, and best of luck. :weld:

rudedog

I find it interesting how the rear "cradle" section looks like it's only got one support or attachment point holding it to the front "cockpit" section. I always thought your legs wrapped around the outside of the steering supports, no?? Maybe not, I see they are too wide for that, I guess I'm used to the other style where the supports are closer together.

Last edited:
youll be getting your kicks like this :doah:

YouTube - Minibike wheelchair fun
No kicks meant really. That's a lot of power for that frame. Looks like some reinforcement couldn't hurt, or lack of could hurt.
Don't let my comment discourage you Pepper, just curious if your going to add more strength to that beast. Maybe "ladder bar" the bottom of the frame? And an extra set of side bars from front to back? Just my quick thought on it.

I'd ride it. Not much though, before some mods. If you stretched it a little and set the engine down between the seat and rear end, it would help the balance a little. Then add a roll bar and seat belt.:thumbsup: This has potential, so don't give up.

these are pictures from the first night of building, it is nowhere near done. it is going to have a full roll cage, the engine mounts are going to be reinforced a lot, the frame is going to be reinforced a lot. this thing is also not top heavy at all, it looks like it because of the engine but once you sit in it it is hard for someone to even lift two tires off the ground.