Homemade roll tubing bender!

I needed a roll tubing bender for the new bike im (hopefully) starting. I want the bike to be curvy so i knew i needed a bender. Harbor freight sells one for like $150 but i dont have the money to spend so i figured id make my own. so far it only cost like 7 buck to make and the results are alright. im going to use it to bend 1/2in round rod. It needs some improvements: bigger dies, stronger wood for center die, ect. It bend 1/2in copper very nicely and then i tried to bend 1/2 in stainless :laugh: and broke the center die. 1/2in steel shouldnt be to hard though. here are some pictures of it tell me what you think! :thumbsup:

Here they are!!!! the machine still need some work though. as you can see i split the center die trying to bend the stainless lol

delray

what kind of wood where you using, hardwood? sometimes stainless can be softer then reg-steel:shrug: different grades of stainless,for example 303,304...etc...
with that type of bender can you get the radius your looking for? keep us posted on your finish project:thumbsup:

It was a hard wood but i forget what kind. I told my dad i
think i need a harder wood so i can make a new one on the lathe. Idk what kinda stainless it was lol. Ill keep you guys posted on the build :thumbsup:

maybe try oak and go across the grain . if you can get some old oak beams they can take a beating . i have a old oak beam in the attic for pulling car motors on a chain

We got one of those and they work nicely.

We have one of the pedestal benders, a hydraulic press one like above and a home made one that we use the most. We made if for REALLY big stuff. We made all the bent framework for my dad's teardrop trailer with it.

All it is is angle iron, some large metal caster wheels we got at a local tool shop, two big bolts and some brackets with holes for the side rollers.

In theory you could make a smaller one of the same type just with smaller size wheels.

How it works is you take a air powered socket driver and tighten the vertical bolts and roll the metal through. How tight you bend the metal depends on how far you drive the bolts in.

HT

I like this thread.

A dollar saved is a dollar that didn;t buy something from China lol.

Time spent building something, even a failure is like gymnastics for the mind.
Makes you flexable and adaptive.

We got one of those and they work nicely.

We have one of the pedestal benders, a hydraulic press one like above and a home made one that we use the most. We made if for REALLY big stuff. We made all the bent framework for my dad's teardrop trailer with it.

All it is is angle iron, some large metal caster wheels we got at a local tool shop, two big bolts and some brackets with holes for the side rollers.

In theory you could make a smaller one of the same type just with smaller size wheels.

How it works is you take a air powered socket driver and tighten the vertical bolts and roll the metal through. How tight you bend the metal depends on how far you drive the bolts in.

HT
I really like that homemade jobber there HT, I'd like to see it in action. I want to see sinners as well. c'mon fellas lets have a bend off!
...keep it clean.

Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup: Im making a roll tubing bender not a real tubing bender so tht one from harbor freight is not what im looking for.
HT I like the bender its very simple.

i have a new design in mind so i think im going to try to build that by the weekend but i have to wait for my dad to find more hard wood for the dies :thumbsup: ill keep you guys posted on progress!

homemade roll tubing bender number 2!!

i got around to designing another bender this weekend. The top die is much bigger and is made of a harder wood than the first time. It has bearings and the two bottom dies move instead of the top one. It is also hydraulic so i dont have to tighten it manually. I tested it using some 3/8in rod that i had and it worked pretty good. Ill put a picture up. It needs a little work but overall it works pretty good. Lets hope it holds up being that its made out of wood! :laugh: Tell me what you guys think! :thumbsup:

MikeBear

Great job Alex!

You know, it's refreshing to see a teenager from today, that can actually do/build stuff like this. As opposed to the average kid playing video games all the time, and being surly! :laugh: