Honda GX240 bottom end

MiniNW

I got a mini bike with a honda gx240 on it, I just removed the governor today and I noticed that there's a rear gear in the bottom end that doesn't seem to be connected to anything, I was wondering if that's needed or if I can remove it to slightly lessen the load on the crank? I can't seem to find the information anywhere online.

alas i don't have a photo to point out what i'm looking at, but it's the rear most gear by the electrical connector with the cover off the drive shaft side.

-Travis

The governor goons will be along shortly.
bring em on, it'll be fun. :D
I'm not a governor goon, not even a little bit. I only run flat heads and vintage two strokes, and the only governed engine I am running is an HS40 that is set over 4500 RPM. However, the owner(s) of this website have already countenanced their view. So before you "have fun," you might want to read this:

All threads with questions/comments about using a stock engine with the governor removed, including modifying stock parts (fin removal..ect), without proper precautions will be LOCKED and a link will be referenced to this thread.

Anybody suggesting the use of a stock engine without proper precautions is doing so on there own accord.

NEW:
Anybody continuing to repost question about Modifying Stock engines without proper parts will take a vacation. This included as many ways you can say "How do you modify a stock engine" without saying it. If you are insinuating it it is worse than coming out and saying it. This action will be a instant vacation (or Banning). Complain if you wish but we are doing this for safety and are not going to make exceptions. This is a privately owned website so your first amendment right to freedom speech is void.

MiniNW

I understand and assume all and any risk of modding my engine.

I was merely wondering what the specific gear was behind the crank and it is the balancer. :)

i completely agree, i'm not planning on being a dick to anyone i was simply going to have a chuckle at those advising me against it because i know the risks and such. and will employ plenty of search features before posting questions. thanks for the heads up.

thanks for the heads up.
No problem, LOL. From what I gather, there are, or were some younger folks here with HF engines who'd remove the governor (like we did when we were kids) and so there you go. Those same kids were probably getting tickets for riding their bicycles without a helmet, and doing other dangerous things before discovering the freedom of a mini bike.

Some of the early bikes with flat heads came from the MFGR without governors installed.

I spent a lot of time in (and around) Astoria in the 70's mostly fishing. My Father ran a long liner out of Ilwaco then Newport as well. Astoria is probably one of my favorite towns- although in my later years, I cant deal with the cold and damp.

Sorry for the thread derail, and please carry on. :thumbsup: