Honda mini trail help

I'm seeking any information about this Honda mini trail.

I'd like to start the process of restoring it so any information such as year/model, links to guides, parts, etc would be very helpful.

It runs but needs some engine work to eliminate leaks and idle properly. Also needs new tires and tubes as the current ones don't hold air.
View album 5341

Last edited:

bruces

For some reason I can’t open up the pictures .Anyways ,there is a few numbers on the left side of the engine near where the shifter is ,can you post those for us so we can help you .Also ,if the bike has a sheet metal body ,there is a serial number a few inches up from the left foot peg on the sheet metal body .Also ,behind the headlight or where a headlight would be if it had one ,is where serial numbers are located .Anyways ,pictures and or those serial numbers will go a long way to identifying what you have .

For some reason I can’t open up the pictures .Anyways ,there is a few numbers on the left side of the engine near where the shifter is ,can you post those for us so we can help you .Also ,if the bike has a sheet metal body ,there is a serial number a few inches up from the left foot peg on the sheet metal body .Also ,behind the headlight or where a headlight would be if it had one ,is where serial numbers are located .Anyways ,pictures and or those serial numbers will go a long way to identifying what you have .
I've tried to add pictures with a different privacy setting. Hopefully you can see them now. I'll have to get pictures of the other spots you listed.

Addicted 2 Minis

It's a 1969 as seen on the VIN tag. 68 had a silver vin tag and in 70 they had oval tank badges. You can tell a late model 69 such as yours by the tail light bracket, it's the same wedge style as a 70 model whereas the earlier models were just an angle bracket. Also 1968/69 models only had a hand brake for the rear whereas in 1970 they implemented a foot brake pedal as well as a rear hand brake. Yours appears to be in great condition, I would just clean it up and enjoy... well, after getting new handlebars, someone did the famous handlebar pinch on yours that was ever so popular back in the day.

MT_01.jpg

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

I don't know what you paid for it but consider yourself lucky that it's all there as even the cheap Chinese knock-off parts for these are starting to get ridiculous. As tempted as you may, don't toss anything out, I mean ANYTHING, even old worn out rubber fork boots and such, keep'em. And don't let anyone talk you out of parts, especially if you take it somewhere to get worked on, get your old parts BACK!.

I don't know what you paid for it but consider yourself lucky that it's all there as even the cheap Chinese knock-off parts for these are starting to get ridiculous. As tempted as you may, don't toss anything out, I mean ANYTHING, even old worn out rubber fork boots and such, keep'em. And don't let anyone talk you out of parts, especially if you take it somewhere to get worked on, get your old parts BACK!.
This thing will not be going anywhere. My wife's grandpa purchased it in 1974. He passed away a couple of years ago which is how I ended up with it.

I'm mainly interested in getting it running strong again and getting the tires replaced. Any recommendations on new tires?

bruces

Ok ,like said above don’t mess with that bike ,I regularly get $5-7000.00 for them (I think that’s crazy myself )so be very careful what you do with it .
The tires are 8” ,you can purchase tires for that inexpensively at many places ,the trailwing is a good choice .Try Denis Kirk ,Dr Atv ,or just about any other tire or motorcycle shop should be able to get them inexpensively .Getting them free from the rims will be the real adventure .

@ProfVanNostran Welcome. This is a great site and you have a great find in that Mini Trail. The best favor that you can do for this bike is to leave it alone until you have carefully researched the matter and attain a clear understanding of the significance of your possession. You are the custodian. As others have mentioned, there is great value in this complete bike. Nice examples of early Mini Trails routinely sell for many thousands of dollars. You might not be planning to sell it anytime soon, but it is still worthwhile to avoid doing things that will reduce the value, such as a spray can repaint or custom modifications. If any parts are replaced, do not throw the old ones away. This bike has been around for more than 50 years. try to make sure that it lasts for at least another 50.

Addicted 2 Minis

The first thing most people do when they acquire one of these is go out and get a set of new chrome fenders, don't do it!. Your old ones should clean up pretty good and no matter how bad they are, they're better than the knock-offs. One thing you'll find is that no matter how nice the wheels are on the outside, they are probably rusted together and won't be the best to re-use once apart. There are some decent aftermarket wheels for these and you can still find NOS one on eBay from time to time. Here's a link to reference parts from, weird how they have the 69/70 together as there's a lot of differences between the years https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-z50a-former-model-usa_model50536/partslist/#.YI1-Hi2cZQI

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

Well crap, it won't let you click on the link and actually go to that page but if you copy paste the link in your address bar it will. Dummy me, It's been about ten years since messing with any of these bikes and it took trying to help you to refresh my memory. 1968 was a single year bike known as the Z50-A K0, 1969/70 were nearly the same with only minor differences, known as the Z50-A K1 and the 1971 was a single year bike as well and that's when they started using the brake pedal, it's known as the Z50-A K2. In 1972 they started making the Z50-J style bikes with suspension.

Last edited:
The first thing most people do when they acquire one of these is go out and get a set of new chrome fenders, don't do it!. Your old ones should clean up pretty good and no matter how bad they are, they're better than the knock-offs. One thing you'll find is that no matter how nice the wheels are on the outside, they are probably rusted together and won't be the best to re-use once apart. There are some decent aftermarket wheels for these and you can still find NOS one on eBay from time to time. Here's a link to reference parts from, weird how they have the 69/70 together as there's a lot of differences between the years https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-z50a-former-model-usa_model50536/partslist/#.YI1-Hi2cZQI
Do they make carburetor rebuild kits for these?