Hoppy's "WTF" Build/Log

So heres where im at after a few test runs.....................

the tires seem to be holding now i bumped up the pressure a few notches. so I think im ok there. My big concern right now is this TAV setup I bought. It seems to work just fine however I have a crap load of belt dust collecting. From the start i didnt think it was aligned but after an email to the company i was told to put the spacer from the kit on the shaft and run it. It seems to me that spacer isnt long enough and my clutch needs to come out more. Are these things really universal? they list like seven differant engine makers.....kohler being one of them and thats what I have. Is it normal to have to space things around on these TAV setups? I thought it was a bolt on a go deal. My bely is not liking the way it is right now. This is my first TAV setup....if I eye ball it should my flat engine side of the clutch be lined up with the the driven face?

I was kinda suprised at how the machine moved. Its no rocket but it gets up and goes making for a somewhat bumpy and scetchy ride.:laugh: Thinking some rear fenders might be in order!

Hey Hoppy , I have only played with a few TAV setups ,not as much as some of the guys
But on all of my set ups with assymetrical (one flat side) belt the fixed faces of both pulleys are in dead even alignment , and am sure the symetrical belts would be the same

Hey Hoppy , I have only played with a few TAV setups ,not as much as some of the guys
But on all of my set ups with assymetrical (one flat side) belt the fixed faces of both pulleys are in dead even alignment , and am sure the symetrical belts would be the same
make sure the belt is on the correct way. says on the belt which faces the engine. mine was missing the spacer so i made it out of heavy wall pipe. it slipped over the shaft, not too tight or too sloppy. cut it with tubing cutter and used a grinder on the spacer to fine tune the pulley alignment.

Last edited:
Ill snap a picture tomorrow of it. Im pretty sure the belt was cureved on both sides. No dought about it there is a flat side now and im sure if I measured the width of the belt its not what it was. Clearly this thing doesnt line up. due to the angle the inside of the belt facing the engines has been worn down heavily causing all that dust. the outside looks just fine.