How Much RPMs?

I built a mini bike but I'm not sure if my driver is working properly because my motor is stock and still has a governor. I was told these super 30 series drivers make you go faster. It's kind of a jalopy but it comes off idle ok...... 20211130_154527.jpg 20211130_154357.jpg 20211130_154447.jpg 20211130_154414.jpg

SAS289

I would think that 5700 is too low unless you gear for it to match what most of your riding calls for. From what I've seen in your videos you would want to max out the RPM just before you let off for the corners.

5700 is fine but the govenor would not let it go that fast. Someone must have bypassed it. I have a similar setup on a modified predator with a govenor as I am running a lighted flywheel that is a stock cast iron piece. with gov screw adjusted for max rpm it turns around 4600 rpm and tops out at 46MPH on the bicycle speedo.

Attachments

toomanytoys

5700 is fine but the govenor would not let it go that fast. Someone must have bypassed it. I have a similar setup on a modified predator with a govenor as I am running a lighted flywheel that is a stock cast iron piece. with gov screw adjusted for max rpm it turns around 4600 rpm and tops out at 46MPH on the bicycle speedo.
That's a tillotson I believe in the picture of his bike. Mine hit 5500+ out of the box.

SAS289

If you want a little more RPM just move the throttle spring out on the governor arm. It's the same thing on Tillotson's and Ducar's. The engine in the picture gets to around 5K but is still restricted by the worm type throttle return spring. I can back it down toward 4500 RPM with the throttle screw.

This engine does have a rod and PVL flywheel.

20211222_211821.jpg

joshua. c.

Thats the wrong clutch for a governed bike. you should be using a stock comet 30 on a governed bike. That clutch is only meant for modified engines, the gains it gives are above the point the governor engages at and that clutch doesn't have an overdrive ratio. On a governed engine that clutch will be slower than a comet 30. (knockoffs of the comet 30 work well also)

Thats the wrong clutch for a governed bike. you should be using a stock comet 30 on a governed bike. That clutch is only meant for modified engines, the gains it gives are above the point the governor engages at and that clutch doesn't have an overdrive ratio. On a governed engine that clutch will be slower than a comet 30. (knockoffs of the comet 30 work well also)
It's a 5800 rpm Tillotson 212R MK2 box racing motor. It honks. It impinges the regular 30 series pretty hard.

SAS289

Stock 212 race cam. HD springs. 196r head. Flat top piston. Balco flywheel.....the important part is that the 212r comes stock with a modified governor that does not surge.
You should consider getting a tach. The nice thing about them is that they have a max RPM recall function. You can look at the max RPM after the ride.

I always wondered what RPM you were getting in your "Microbikology" videos. Would have been interesting to see how fast you were spinning the 79cc when gearing 10 and 11:1.

You should consider getting a tach. The nice thing about them is that they have a max RPM recall function. You can look at the max RPM after the ride.

I always wondered what RPM you were getting in your "Microbikology" videos. Would have been interesting to see how fast you were spinning the 79cc when gearing 10 and 11:1.
Up there!! I was floating clone springs like nothing. I have a tach but it doesn't have a back light or recall function. She screams. I have that bike still I'm just reconfiguring it. I want to lose the bmi plate for a stand alone set up with a super short back 420 chain so I can run without a tensioner. I'm planning it out but having a hard time building interest.