How to get crankshaft pulley off of engine

mustangfrank

My 3HP Briggs used to be on a McLane edger and still has the crankshaft pulley on it. How do I get it off?
Pics are helpful...usually there are a couple allen set screws holding them on or sometimes a bolt in the end of the crank. Good penetrant, torch (on the pulley only), gear puller and/or a little luck in some combination should do the trick.

old shed finds

We do need pics .
Some late model of these edges did have a 2 piece pulley and bolt in center...after removed it only has 3" or less crankshaft left.

We removed the Allen bolt today and the pulley still isn't coming off. Is there a special key needed to get it off, and it may be a weird question now but will a stock doodlebug clutch work after I get the pulley off?

Spray it down good with PB Blaster, or your choice of penetrating oil, spray it again tomorrow.

Then take a pulley puller to it. Most auto parts stores carry them. I believe mine was less than $20.

And yes, unless someone really messed up your pto shaft, you should be fine.

Spray it down good with PB Blaster, or your choice of penetrating oil, spray it again tomorrow.

Then take a pulley puller to it. Most auto parts stores carry them. I believe mine was less than $20.
That is EXACTLY what we used and did! PB Blaster, so now we need a crappy little puller?

That is EXACTLY what we used and did! PB Blaster, so now we need a crappy little puller?
There is a less impressive, non-professional way to do it for garage hacks like me. Use the weight of the engine to help you.

Grab the pulley with one hand while holding up the engine by the pulley. Now, using a dead fall hammer, soft, heavy, lead hammer, smack the end of the crank shaft just hard enough to not mushroom the PTO. If it's a threaded PTO, thread in the bolt, probably a 5/16-24, and hit the head of the bolt. I've removed a lot of stuck stuff that way. And in case you are wondering, it's fairly easy to square up the PTO with a file if you do accidently mushroom it a bit.

You'll want to make sure the engine doesn't fall on the hard floor and get damaged, and you may want to have an assistant. Double check both allen set screws are removed. I say "both" because it seems to me I am always finding another one when I can't get a pulley off. Or, just buy the puller.

There is a less impressive, non-professional way to do it for garage hacks like me. Use the weight of the engine to help you.

Grab the pulley with one hand while holding up the engine by the pulley. Now, using a dead fall hammer, soft, heavy, lead hammer, smack the end of the crank shaft just hard enough to not mushroom the PTO. If it's a threaded PTO, thread in the bolt, probably a 5/16-24, and hit the head of the bolt. I've removed a lot of stuck stuff that way. And in case you are wondering, it's fairly easy to square up the PTO with a file if you do accidently mushroom it a bit.

You'll want to make sure the engine doesn't fall on the hard floor and get damaged, and you may want to have an assistant. Double check both allen set screws are removed. I say "both" because it seems to me I am always finding another one when I can't get a pulley off. Or, just buy the puller.
I didn't think of that one, would probably work

Alright, I found one of my pulley pullers. We did not know we had one until now. Oh well, now I have good ideas if it breaks or for the future. Thank you for the help and ideas

my 2 cents is get the clutch/gear puller tool at any auto parts store. they have 3 prongs that grab the back of the pulley and a central bolt. the bolt is set on the end of the shaft.
the bolt is tightened and the prongs grip the pulley/clutch and lossen it as you crank down on the bolt. The pulley/clutch moves toward the end of the shaft with each rotation of the bolt. it can be used to remove the flywheel as well. If your starting this as a hobby it is a tool you will use many times. The tool is very effective.