How to put a Kickstart on a Clone

JayQuan

It looks like a kickstarter from a tec motor might work, you might have to weld extenstions onto it though so it will bolt up the the clones flywheel shroud

mybiz

I doubt the clones blower housing is made stout enough to hold up if you had a hard starting motor. But some extra bracing does wonders.:hammer:

look around at the antique motors... I've thought of doing that too with these Briggs motors.. It would be easy as heel if ya wanted to fab something up.. I would do one about like an old Briggs Model Y or Maytag washing mashine engine.. Just going off from the front of the motor.. Of coarse, briggs motors have the rachet ball thing too.. a clone I don't know... Build a grabber on the crank side of the motor like an old Briggs Y or Maytag or something.. A lot of motors were kickstart in the 20's 30's 40's era..

JayQuan

I doubt the clones blower housing is made stout enough to hold up if you had a hard starting motor. But some extra bracing does wonders.:hammer:
Good point I didn't think about that, but some modification could be done to make it stronger like you said:thumbsup:

That would be the easiest and best way to add a kicker like one of these.

jpg (1 of 3)12-13-2009 07:17 PM
Daaaamn, mybizz thats a NICE Y you have there. :wink: I had a couple NICE ones too.. sold a whole lot of about 40 antique motors, mostly Briggs... :shrug: how can ya find time to fix them all? I could have parted them out for a fortune but they were too nice to do that to...

Jleon

I had the idea of adding some bicycle chain to your rope start, threaded over a small sprocket down to a kick pedal off an old scooter. It was designed for about 7"'s or more of pull, plenty to start a good clone. Didn't finish it because I added a side car that would have been in the way!