How to remove rusted forks

minibikefever

Same set up I used, I went through a can of lube and a week of going out and giving the jack a half a pump and one day one popped and then I used 2 jacks one on each side of the last strut and 2 days later it let go??? I filled the forks with lube, had it all over the place, but that's what it took to free them, If I do it again I'll soak the forks in tranny fluid for a week like Triley41395 suggested before I even attempt to put the jack to it. Good luck, you'll get it no doubt.

Minimichael

My little sprayer there is a 50/50 ATF & acetone mix...I'm trying to be patient.
You guys keep talking about these ATF mixes, and I've been meaning to try my own...

What about naptha? Might help the plastic sleeve release from the rusted steel.

Last edited:

Triley41395

You guys keep talking about these ATF mixes, and I've been meaning to try my own...

What about naptha? Might help the plastic sleeve release from the rusted steel.
Anything that thins it helps it penatrate. Naptha would probably work fine. If it's got a bunch of coats of paint, I add DOT 3 brake fluid which softens the paint. Normally I use plain transmission fluid as soon as I get it home even if I'm not intending on working on it anytime soon. Even just plain gas works great to thin it out.

Here's another option for hydraulic removal.
Install a grease fitting somewhere and pump it full. It might swell the outer sleeve and it WILL definitely force lube into the joint.
Turn the entire fork into a hydraulic cylinder. (You're going to clean it out, anyway, right?)

Here's another option for hydraulic removal.
Install a grease fitting somewhere and pump it full. It might swell the outer sleeve and it WILL definitely force lube into the joint.
Turn the entire fork into a hydraulic cylinder. (You're going to clean it out, anyway, right?)
sparkwizard is right, the hydraulic pressure that the grease gun exerts thru the grease fitting can really put a lot of pressure on the fork.
Use a long lever hand grease gun, not the pistol lever type.
Let the fork assembly, grease gun, grease tubes all lay out in the hot sun for a couple of hours before attempting this.
Go back and forth between both forks, let it sit for a 1/2hr go back and exert a little more grease pressure and just maybe, you will get lucky!
You may waste grease and will have a clean up job afterwards but it may be worth it.
Note: Not responsible for anything that may occur, try at your own risk.

Last edited:

f4radar

I was in the Navy, I don't have a quota.
How about the bushings, can they be saved?
I’m trying to figure out how to get them out without damaging them. I tried squeezing the ends together and prying them out but no luck so far. I was going to search the forum for tips.