How to tell comet clutch series apart.

I can't find any number to reference on the clutch. How do you tell apart the different series of clutches that were made. I have a few I'm trying to figure out. Also what clutch setup was originally on the super bronc vt10?

Just to add to the confusion, my Bronc has a 30 series clutch on a 1" shaft. I've seen 2 different clutch set-ups on the VT-10's, the 30 series on a small jackshaft bolted to the engine and the chain drive on the left. The 40 series on a large jackshaft that goes all the way across the bike and the chain drive on the right.

Just to add to the confusion, my Bronc has a 30 series clutch on a 1" shaft. I've seen 2 different clutch set-ups on the VT-10's, the 30 series on a small jackshaft bolted to the engine and the chain drive on the left. The 40 series on a large jackshaft that goes all the way across the bike and the chain drive on the right.
It's all clear as mud Heavy LOL!!

Doc

The bronc I have has the jack shaft that bolts to the engine, so I would need a 30 series driver clutch to match up with the driven clutch Thats still on the bike correct. It never came with the engine or driver clutch, so this helps a lot. Thanks.

Heres another question. Lets say I have a 30 series clutch on a bike but need a belt. Would I just order a belt for the 30 series or would the belt size be bike specific?

There is a specific number for that set up. I believe it's the Comet # 203591A for the 30 series clutch. Check with Ron Kimbal though to be absolutely sure. If you have the series 30 with a 3/4" shaft, order the bushing that goes between the two halves of the driver along with the belt. I think this info is right but frankly I am tired and my mind doesn't work as well as when I am rested.

Edit: I think the 5/8" takes the bushing and the 3/4 doesn't use it. Call Ron, I just can't remember right now.

Doc

Last edited: